• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

any traders here ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trading Platforms" for day trading are a mugs game, you'll lose your money.

What you want is an on-line broker that just gives you access to the Stock Exchange.

My on-line broker has an interesting statistic actually shows how customers are performing with their portfolios. There is a small percentage of investors punting on speculative trades who earn a bit more than investors with solid portfolios (eg Blue chips and bonds), but most are making a loss.

i.e. go for broke you might earn 20% (tops) but on average you lose 25% because an awful lot of them are wiping themselves out.

With a conventional boring portfolio i.e. following the FTSE tops you earn 11-12% but your losses wouldn't be much more than 10-12% and on average they're getting 5%.

Conclusion, it aint worth speculative trading because the risk isn't worth the extra few percent. Just learn to be a good trader with blue chips and try and get 10-12%. For that you don't need a trading platform.

90% of day traders lose 90% of their cash in 90 days
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
      It is not for day trading I guess.
      One of the comments from Asirikuy admin reads " it might take you about 2-3 years to live from this while you truly get an understanding and learn how to do this"
      Yeah, the guy makes no promises which is why I spunked up the cash to join, something to pursue when benched maybe. You need to be able to code a bit, and I can't (I can korn shell) but I'll have a bash (geddit!) when I'm less busy. There's a shed load of material on the site, even wading through that is a major task, and I think what others have said is correct, you can do it but not like 30% compound like some claim, 5% compound is maybe possible and from what I read on the forum, 3% compound certainly achievable.

But it's not set it and forget it, to make even a part-living out of it seems you have to be 'into it' and enjoy dicking around with it. That's not me yet but I'm interest enough not to let it die.

Comment

I think you guys are getting investing mixed up with trading.

Sticking some money into long term share holdings is not trading.

It is true that 90% of traders lose money, but that's because it was always a hobby for them and they didn't persevere for the 5 years that it takes to learn a profession, be it accountant, doctor or lawyer.
        Last edited by SantaClaus; 17 November 2014, 16:08.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          I think you guys are getting investing mixed up with trading.

Sticking some money into long term share holdings is not trading.

It is true that 90% of traders lose money, but that's because it was always a hobby for them and they didn't persevere for the 5 years that it takes to learn a profession, be it accountant, doctor or lawyer.
          Hello fancy face.

If you were a successful trader, you wouldn't be contracting in IT.

You've perhaps been lucky. You'll do your bollocks eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenSausio View Post
            Hello fancy face.

Sorry, I don't have time for juvenile delinquents.

But for the record, I gave up contracting in 2008.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I think the phrase is owned....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hello fancy face.

As per the warning I just sent, you need to earn the right to be a cocky git on here.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I think the phrase is owned....
                  You believe in Santa Claus, do you?

Comment

2008? That's a long time to be benched!

Have you considered stopping the gambling and maybe retraining?

Comment

2008? That's a long time to be benched!

Have you considered stopping the gambling and maybe retraining?
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X