• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Plan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    You're not one of these New Labour types who believes everyone is equal in abilities, qualities and talents, are you?
    Nah that was Old Labour thinking. NL thinking goes more like:

"Make a big noise about helping the downtrodden masses whilst helping yourself at every opportunity"

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
      Not quite a grand a day and also you can't plan to be in contract every month, but I'm not really starting from 0. So I'm not quite planning for £1m either! Everyone has their price for retirement. Some want the fast cars and rolex watches, but I'm happy in other ways (a £16 cardigan from Next, oh yeah).

But dont get me wrong, a million would be nice... come on you premium bonds.
      ...yes but at 39 you need a hell of a lot more than if your 65, this money needs to fund your life for 40 years plus not 15, if you're married with sprogs you'll probably need more.

People who retire at 40 work as traders in the City and have a couple of mill behind them.

However you'll probably have enough then to plough it into a B&B in Spain or work yourself to death on your own campsite in Tuscany. Thats what a lot of 40 year olds seem to do these days.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        People who retire at 40 work as traders in the City and have a couple of mill behind them.
        I 'retired' at 32 and started my own 'small-scale' consulting business.

Since then I've worked every fecking hour God sends (I am now 48).

Wouldn't have it any other way really. My wife and kids spend the money and I don't have to do decorating and gardening!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
          I 'retired' at 32 and started my own 'small-scale' consulting business.

Since then I've worked every fecking hour God sends.
          Me too. That's how I end up not know what day of the week it is.
          Blair, you cannot reach me now,
          No matter how you try,
          Goodbye cruel Labour,
          Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
            Me too. That's how I end up not know what day of the week it is.
            It's Tuesday CP.

Thank feck for computers

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
              ...yes but at 39 you need a hell of a lot more than if your 65, this money needs to fund your life for 40 years plus not 15, if you're married with sprogs you'll probably need more.

However you'll probably have enough then to plough it into a B&B in Spain or work yourself to death on your own campsite in Tuscany. Thats what a lot of 40 year olds seem to do these days.
              Think cashflow, not net value, and then it makes more sense.

A very much simplified example is - £1m in the bank will generate £40k income a year in interest. That leaves your £1m in tact for as long as you need. Or ... 4 mortgage free houses will generate £40k in rental income per year, and of course the houses will always be yours. It's not like you're eating into the actual value of the house or the £1m. Ignoring inflation of course.

Comment

Too much hassle. Just live off the cash...
                Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
                  Too much hassle. Just live off the cash...
                  Yep that's what I would want to do too. The real problem is then that inflation eats into your imaginary £1m savings so you can't really spend the whole £40k interest you earn each year, more like spend only £15k and leave the other £25k in the bank to account for inflation!

Might as well just give up and work til ur 75.....

Comment

Sign on the dole and get benefits !

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                      Sign on the dole and get benefits !
                      Go swimming off Dover, throw away your passport and pretend you're an immigrant who needs asylum.... free house, food, benefits, no taxes, cash in hand work... gotta love Britain.

Comment

Working...
                      X