• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minimum wage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised at that McQ

I didn't have you down as vindictive.
    Bear in mind that people who do these things probably have to pay for their brochures/flyers etc. and I doubt they're coining it, so deliberately destroying their material is a little mean. And more effort than just leaving it outside your door as soon as it comes through, which is what I do.
    Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
      I didn't have you down as vindictive.
      Bear in mind that people who do these things probably have to pay for their brochures/flyers etc. and I doubt they're coining it, so deliberately destroying their material is a little mean. And more effort than just leaving it outside your door as soon as it comes through, which is what I do.
      Because they don't take no for an answer. The only way to stop them is to cost them money, as that is all they care about.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I am surprised

I just leave it on the doorstep, they pick it up, go away and don't often return.
        Why would you be talking (down) to them?
        Why not?

Comment

National Minimum Wage

I can answer your question Dim Prawn. It's the least I can do after you pointed me in the direction of Oracle SQL Developer which is doing its job nicely.

You need to pay your employees at least the national minimum wage. Of course if they aren't your employees but a subcontracting sales agency for instance, or self employed, it's not your responsibility.

But back to employees. NMW is now £5.35/hour. If their basic wage is below NMW, and they're expected to earn commission to bring them above it, then you have to top up their earnings to at least the NMW level. For instance you can expect your chimney-sweeps to work a 40 hour week, and pay them £150/week basic plus £10 per chimney. But if one of them only sweeps 5 chimneys, bringing his earnings to £200, you need to bung him an extra £14 to bring him up to the legal minimum of (£5.35 * 40 = £214).

Comment

And most certainly they have minimum sales levels failure to achieve which would result in a termination. This ensures that Crapware Ltd will not be actually paying salary - only commission.

Comment

Oh. Just saw that _V_ said the same thing a few posts ago. I sometimes miss the good stuff while 'Page Down'-ing at high speed through the banter.

Minimum wage is now more than my first ever contract rate was!

Comment

My first job in UK IT was for £7 ph, and I was well chuffed at the time...

At the time (2000) I was looking at house prices and vividly remember that very nice house would cost something like £150-200k, so I decided to buy one when our .COM will float in just few months and I become millionaire...
                Last edited by AtW; 11 September 2006, 20:55.

Comment

Working...
                X