• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I thought children were supposed to be a blessing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I don't think he was.

She only found out who he was [having had no contact] because he became a public figure after leaving the force. Idiot!
    so he was the Idiot, She was the Idiot, you or Woohoo were the Idiot?

Maybe he should have pretended to be celibate? Sure that wouldn't have been suspicious.

Before we roll out the Red Hanky remember the animal rights bunch were smashing up cars, hitting people, storming laboratories and sending unpleasant stuff through the post, the European groups they were affiliated with were doing far worse.

Now would you have the same attitude if she had been in the IRA or the Blackshirts. Of course you wouldn't! First rule of justice if it weren't a cute hamster but a cockroach accused would you feel the same?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What the hell are you drivelling on about?

He was undercover, and chose to pursue a relationship with someone whose group he was monitoring, and deceived her for years. I couldn't care less what organisation she was part of, that's immoral.

Having intimate relations with people while under long term cover is one thing, what happened here is different, and yes, that's my opinion.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        so he was the Idiot, She was the Idiot, you or Woohoo were the Idiot?
        I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot most of the time but seems a fair point that the lady is owed backdated child support or if she received help from the government then the taxpayer is owed it.

This may be another idiotic comment on my part, I'm not familiar with the benefits system as hairy Mary over there.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          What the hell are you drivelling on about?

He was undercover, and chose to pursue a relationship with someone whose group he was monitoring, and deceived her for years. I couldn't care less what organisation she was part of, that's immoral.

Having intimate relations with people while under long term cover is one thing, what happened here is different, and yes, that's my opinion.
          You do realise that being undercover makes deception part of the job description? Her membership of a partially terrorist organisation does sort of make it a different type of story. You seem to be the one who is talking drivel.

Context as always important. Should he have said 'sorry I'll be part of your group but I can't have sex with you because I'm an undercover policeman?' He was pretending to be part of an organisation that was mainly rebelling young females he was bound to be offered sex fairly often. Unless he had an obvious significant other, it would be weird to turn it down. I'm not sure why they hired a married man for the job.

Whilst the IRA or similar had a long track record for killing informants animal rights groups were still developing so fear of violence was very real. So yes it does make a hell of a difference, this wasn't a bigamist accountant or vicar banging two members of the congregation there was real danger in what he was doing.

I assume all the brave female secret agents and resistance fighters that slept with their targets or cover to stay alive should also be similarly despised? Mata Hari was obviously beyond the pale.

OK lets change it a bit should we give every man duped into raising another man's child half a million for pain & suffering? Or every victim of bigamy? That happens without the threat of death yet the deceit is very real..

Yes he shouldn't have slept with her without protection, he definitely shouldn't of had the child with her, yes he should have supported it in some way financially. No he shouldn't have come out and put his colleagues or existing family in danger.

You are far too naive to be so judgmental.

I believe she should get some recognition and an apology possibly even lessons learned but the amount of compensation is derisory compared the amount some little old lady getting beaten near to death by some scrote on bail again. The father should have paid the equivalent of CSA for the kid. Did she raise the kid on benefits? Will we get a refund of that?

She was a member of a suspected terrorist group. What next Martin McGuiness gets a few million because the Army might have shot at him?

Comment

You do realise that being undercover makes deception part of the job description? Her membership of a partially terrorist organisation does sort of make it a different type of story. You seem to be the one who is talking drivel.

Context as always important. Should he have said 'sorry I'll be part of your group but I can't have sex with you because I'm an undercover policeman?' He was pretending to be part of an organisation that was mainly rebelling young females he was bound to be offered sex fairly often. Unless he had an obvious significant other, it would be weird to turn it down. I'm not sure why they hired a married man for the job.

Whilst the IRA or similar had a long track record for killing informants animal rights groups were still developing so fear of violence was very real. So yes it does make a hell of a difference, this wasn't a bigamist accountant or vicar banging two members of the congregation there was real danger in what he was doing.

I assume all the brave female secret agents and resistance fighters that slept with their targets or cover to stay alive should also be similarly despised? Mata Hari was obviously beyond the pale.

OK lets change it a bit should we give every man duped into raising another man's child half a million for pain & suffering? Or every victim of bigamy? That happens without the threat of death yet the deceit is very real..

Yes he shouldn't have slept with her without protection, he definitely shouldn't of had the child with her, yes he should have supported it in some way financially. No he shouldn't have come out and put his colleagues or existing family in danger.

You are far too naive to be so judgmental.

I believe she should get some recognition and an apology possibly even lessons learned but the amount of compensation is derisory compared the amount some little old lady getting beaten near to death by some scrote on bail again. The father should have paid the equivalent of CSA for the kid. Did she raise the kid on benefits? Will we get a refund of that?

She was a member of a suspected terrorist group. What next Martin McGuiness gets a few million because the Army might have shot at him?
            +1

His only crime is not paying his child support payments the rest is not a crime.

Comment

If the state is responsible, then the victim should be compensated.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                +1

His only crime is not paying his child support payments the rest is not a crime.
                MPS paid out because either

a) there was a crime committed and they would lose in court; or
                b) there was no crime committed but they would have to reveal other nefarious activity in court and want to silence the woman; or
                c) there was no crime committed but they feel that there would be a public backlash when the evidence reaches court.

So which scenario do you think it fell into, if it's not the first?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  MPS paid out because either

a) there was a crime committed and they would lose in court; or
                  b) there was no crime committed but they would have to reveal other nefarious activity in court and want to silence the woman; or
                  c) there was no crime committed but they feel that there would be a public backlash when the evidence reaches court.

So which scenario do you think it fell into, if it's not the first?
                  what crime are you suggesting happened? There should be a fair amount of leeway for undercover officers in pursuit of their duty.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    If the state is responsible, then the victim should be compensated.
                    This.

Comment

what crime are you suggesting happened? There should be a fair amount of leeway for undercover officers in pursuit of their duty.
                      I am not sufficiently versed in the law as m'learned CUK colleagues, sadly.

However, since MPS have paid out, one of the three scenarios I suggest would have applied to their legal consultation. Unless I am mistaken and have missed some other scenario(s) that would have arisen.

If there was no crime, what reasoning do you think MPS applied in their decision to halt a legal challenge by paying out now?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X