• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get on your Hoe and look for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you realise if that we give it to private firms they will want to make a profit?
    If they employ them then they will need to factor in things like holiday & sick pay?
    -
    And? How does that change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      And? How does that change anything?
      someone will need to pay extra to fund that profit and employee benefits.

Its simple if you want benefits and you have been unemployed 6-12 months you do some work for the good of the country to keep your hand in.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        And you think they would pay them more if the NMW didn't exist?
        I think some would pay less and some would pay more. Probably on balance it's better but I think there are far fewer restaurants, etc, who pay more for better people - they all default to NMW rather than trying to figure out what they should pay.

Especially for younger people... when I did that kind of work they didn't offer the same job paying less for 20yo than 21yo whereas now the employer will just say "it's NMW, that's the law"
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I think some would pay less and some would pay more. Probably on balance it's better but I think there are far fewer restaurants, etc, who pay more for better people - they all default to NMW rather than trying to figure out what they should pay.

Especially for younger people... when I did that kind of work they didn't offer the same job paying less for 20yo than 21yo whereas now the employer will just say "it's NMW, that's the law"
          While there are more suitable applicants than there are jobs then wages will fall. NMW provides a safety net.

We already subsidise NMW with tax credits so employers make more profit.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
          X