• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now fruit juice makes you fat.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    True as a point of physics but quite oversimplified if it is meant to imply that eating fat will make you get fat more than eating sugar will.

1. in real life people who exchange sugar calories for fat calories tend to eat fewer calories, not the same number of grams.
    2. they have different effects on your metabolism, so the sugar (especially fructose) tends to get stored as fat, whereas the fat tends to get used as energy (this is only a verbal paradox, not a biological one). I.e. if you get most of your calories from sugar you get fat, and therefore become a couch potato (not the other way round as the sellers of sugar would like to tell you).
    3. the fat does not trigger the same insulin response and so does is not so likely to lead to insulin resistance.
    I think it rather depends on the person. If you are eating because you're hungry, I agree. If you're eating out of habit, or for pleasure, probably not so much. I can eat a big bag of Doritos or a lump of cheese more easily than a big bar of chocolate - sugary food I soon feel sick whereas oily snacks I can eat them for hours.

The sharp spike from eating simple sugars is of course true.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
    X