• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth getting a car on hire purchase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Depends what you mean by quality, superficial or where it counts? .
    By quality I mean the delivery of specification at every time I use the car until it's dying day.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Think I might have just found my ideal car:

Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 VVT-i T Spirit 5dr MMT

Going to check it at weekend
      That's got 100k miles on it

a 1.8 petrol engine ain't got much more in it

could be wrong but any warranty will be worth nob all because at that age and mileage everything can be put down to wear and tear.

but up to you!

personally I look to buy with less the 30k on the clock but then I do approx. 15 k per year

good hunting

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        By quality I mean the delivery of specification at every time I use the car until it's dying day.
        Then it could be argued over the last 10 years Japanese cars are on average better quality than German cars.

German cars lose out in reliability survey - Telegraph

Comment

Then it could be argued over the last 10 years Japanese cars are on average better quality than German cars.

German cars lose out in reliability survey - Telegraph
          I bet the majority of people change their cars more often than 10 years. Fixing the window of time is always going to skew statistics in this way. You'd be better understanding the volume of cars produced against those with failure over all time for each model.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

IMO HP is a lifestyle choice. Won't be as cheap as paying cash outright but if it's low monthly payments you are after then go for it. Get them to give you the numbers and then work it against a loan or crowd funding option and see what works out best.

I'd have a look at the options around a new car on finance as well. It's not my cup of tea but the missus has just swapped her 2 year old Aygo for a brand new one with all the bells and whistles for only 60 quid a month more. Costs her 240 a month with no worries about breakdowns etc. Every 3 years (or less if you can get them over a barrel) she gets a brand new car. Probably not as cheap as other options but easy and cheap motoring which is what she wants.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I bet the majority of people change their cars more often than 10 years. Fixing the window of time is always going to skew statistics in this way. You'd be better understanding the volume of cars produced against those with failure over all time for each model.
              That is not the only evidence of a fall in quality.

Most reliable cars to buy in 2014 | Carbuyer

5 Japanese versus 2 german (one Skoda) in the top 10.

Have you got some evidence that German manufacturers are more reliable, or do you just like the feel of the interior plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                We have completely outgrown our current "family" car and I am thinking I need to get a Toyota verso (feel free to debate my opinion on this). I am thinking to get a car from a Toyota dealer costing says 9-10k. Current car is worth 1500, I can throw on another 2k for deposit. The family car does very low mileage, about 7k a year max. Would it be worth taking out a hire purchase, paying say 100/month and then just getting rid of the car at the end of the term?

I have the cash but I don't like to spend a lot in one go on a car which is a long-term cost. We also won't be feeling a 100/month...
                There are some really good PCP offers around at the moment, which are better than hire purchase options if you decide you want to purchase the car after the deal has ended.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  That's got 100k miles on it

a 1.8 petrol engine ain't got much more in it
                  My Audi A4 petrol 1.8 did 177k miles before I sold it. I continued to see it in the local area for another year or two.

It's the view that a petrol engine is knackered after 60k miles that makes 2nd hand such a bargain!

Comment

Have you got some evidence that German manufacturers are more reliable, or do you just like the feel of the interior plastic?
                    You don't feel reliability, you measure it.

The number of engine failures for n engines for a given population of vehicles is a useless statistic to report unless you know the combined milage of those vehicles, which was not given.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      My Audi A4 petrol 1.8 did 177k miles before I sold it. I continued to see it in the local area for another year or two.

It's the view that a petrol engine is knackered after 60k miles that makes 2nd hand such a bargain!
                      Not saying it won't run for another 100k miles just that there is a good chance in that 100k miles you may have a few large bills.....

but it all depends sometimes you get lucky sometimes you do not.

Comment

Working...
                      X