• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth getting a car on hire purchase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    warranty and quality.
    Japan delivers the best warranties. Germany the best quality.

Perhaps you can get a hybrid.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The cars we see in mini nwp2c's school are ridiculous. It's like they are all competing for the best and most expensive cars. Range rovers are every other car, the rest are either mercs, bmws or Porsches.
      It's a private school isn't it? You choices are utter wreck just about still running (so plausibly old money watching pennies) or the best you can get a loan for.

After all your children will be picked on if you can't keep up with the Joneses....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

200k ok the clock ..... Yeah
        okay here's 80k on the clock at £5.5k, still a steal.

Volvo XC70 2.5T SE Lux 5dr Geartronic
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          It's a private school isn't it? You choices are utter wreck just about still running (so plausibly old money watching pennies) or the best you can get a loan for.

After all your children will be picked on if you can't keep up with the Joneses....
          Keeping up with the Joneses, no sense of budget and massive debts.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Perhaps you know something about my financial position that I don't?

I'm still managing to save 2k a month after private school fees and mrs still not working and that is without skimping at all...

Also we don't need to drive to the school as we are about 3 mins walk from it . The house is well worth it now! Funny thing is a lot of the parents are wanting to move to the area for the school but can't cos house prices have gone up about 20% in our area in the last 2 years.

Comment

We have completely outgrown our current "family" car and I am thinking I need to get a Toyota verso (feel free to debate my opinion on this). I am thinking to get a car from a Toyota dealer costing says 9-10k. Current car is worth 1500, I can throw on another 2k for deposit. The family car does very low mileage, about 7k a year max. Would it be worth taking out a hire purchase, paying say 100/month and then just getting rid of the car at the end of the term?

I have the cash but I don't like to spend a lot in one go on a car which is a long-term cost. We also won't be feeling a 100/month...
              No - absolutely not. Only worth it at aprox 30 -40K miles pa, becuase you can hand it back half way through and don't have to take the negative equity hit. Otherwise get a cheaper bank loan.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Perhaps you know something about my financial position that I don't?

I'm still managing to save 2k a month after private school fees and mrs still not working and that is without skimping at all...

Also we don't need to drive to the school as we are about 3 mins walk from it . The house is well worth it now! Funny thing is a lot of the parents are wanting to move to the area for the school but can't cos house prices have gone up about 20% in our area in the last 2 years.
                Sorry I thought you were doing a school run. What I was describing is the logic of my far richer acquaintances.

Old money spend carefully and run into the ground. New money spend money for show as they want to be seen as successful. And cars supposedly show wealth.

Personally go for whatever approach works for you. I'm seriously considering a Peugeot 5008. A lot of 9 month old models have just appeared for approx £12500
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

HP - Cashflow is King. Plus you can stop payments and send it back in the event of a crisis such as divorce

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Japan delivers the best warranties. Germany the best quality.
                    Depends what you mean by quality, superficial or where it counts?
                    Japanese were the first to introduce strict quality control methods in the production process and have been top of the reliability charts for a long time, some recent recals yes, but they do address issues rather than pretend they don't exist like others do. German cars had a bit of a dip in the 00s with all sorts of quality issues. Although I believe it's largely been addressed in the last few years.

I've given up spunking large amounts of cash or cars. If you must have something flash, it makes sense to lease a depreciating asset and pile the cash saved into things that appreciate.

Comment

Think I might have just found my ideal car:

http://Www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01410017849845

Going to check it at weekend

Comment

Working...
                      X