• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First US Ebola case diagnosed in Dallas, TX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Nope.

Apparently soap & water kills it.

But in places where soap is not readily available, not so easy.

The programme described how the government (?Liberia?) came along & gave bars of soap to a skool.

One bar among 50 or so people.
    This is worrying news. Imagine what happens if a case gets to France?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Nope.

Apparently soap & water kills it.

But in places where soap is not readily available, not so easy.

The programme described how the government (?Liberia?) came along & gave bars of soap to a skool.

One bar among 50 or so people.
      Ah, you mean killing it from surfaces or unbroken skin.

Not helpful if you've already got ebola.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Hmm.. are you sure they weren't talking about rumours and hoaxes?

Like this Ebola cure identified in Nigeria:

Chortle!

They never give up do they
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ah, you mean killing it from surfaces or unbroken skin.

Not helpful if you've already got ebola.
          The spread of Ebola is helped by poor hygiene methods i.e. lack of soap, disinfectant

I remember hearing a story that a mother had the choice of buying some disinfectant or some food for her kids.

A Mary's Meals spokesman was explaining this and that they now have to go out and deliver meals to children as schools are closed. linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sorry this is no joke

This is not one of the volunteer aid workers that came back in a protective aeroplane and now in isolation, but is a traveller who came back from West Africa and was later diagnosed when they got ill.
            What is worse the guy went to the hospital twice after they sent him home the first time.....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

From that link:

It doesn't travel by air but is transmitted by direct contact with the bodily fluids of someone who has symptoms, such as vomit, diarrhea or blood
              Hmmm. I seem to recall a Dustin Hoffman (?) film where a disease that was not supposed to be transmitted by air was. Holywood is never wrong!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Ah yes, Outbreak!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreak_(film)

The film focuses on an outbreak of a fictional Ebola-like virus called Motaba in Zaire and later in a small town in the United States.
                The virus mutates into a new strain, capable of spreading like flu, and numerous Cedar Creek citizens are exposed to Motaba
                Double panic. Hollywood as quoted by Wikipedia!!!! It is bound to happen!!!
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

When was the last time you were in any pub toilets, think that door handle is clean?
                  Cheeseslice is right. Remember getting thread worms once at a contract in Cheltenham. Maybe it would make more sense if the sink was outside the toilet. Ever since then, after washing, I always open toilet doors with the base of my little finger at the very top of the handle.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    It's ok there is a cure for westerners with money.
                    Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    Hygiene and modern medical facilities, if it gets to India though different story.
                    That's prevention, not cure.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickyBoy View Post
                      Unless my maths is wrong, this guy spent 7 days wandering around while in the infectious stage.

There will be quite a few other people with this in the USA now.
                      If the Cowboys have shown anything over recent years, it's that nobody can catch anything in Dallas.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X