• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux bash vulnerability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not hearing much about millions of servers being compromised like suity predicted. Maybe the hackers are busy today watching the golf

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Actually I made most of that up, the UNIX in Windows uses ksh and csh but you can install Bash from 3rd party sources
      GPFS uses ksh which is what we use it for but SUA installs bash too I'm told and it's certainly there on our boxes, and I see no way of removing it! I hink it might be in the GNU Utilities bit but I can't break it down to see what's in it.

You can also have Cygwin installations with bash I suppose....

Comment

Oh god, another SY01 Chicken Little thread...
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          I hope so but doubt it.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            There's a shock!!!

Like most of these stories, sensationalist journalism replaces devalues any shred of truth behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I hope so but doubt it.
              Wilmsloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Comment

Government not worried in the least

BBC News - Web attacks build on Shellshock bug

The seriousness of the bug has also led governments to act quickly. The UK government said its cybersecurity response team had issued an alert to its agencies and departments giving Shellshock the "highest possible threat ratings".

It had this rating, said the alert, because vulnerable systems would "inevitably" include machines that formed part of the UK's critical national infrastructure.
                So all good then.

Comment

So all good then.
                  Oh do **** off. How many critical vulnerabilities get fixed every week? Has the world ended because of any of them?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

So all good then.
                    Early reports suggest up to 500 million machines could be vulnerable to Shellshock but, wrote Jen Ellis from security firm Rapid7, this figure was now being revised downwards because of the "number of factors that need to be in play for a target to be susceptible".
                    Will be revised to a few hundred web servers that host website built in 1994.

HTH

Comment

Do I get an apology and a bunch of flowers when I am proved right?

Comment

Working...
                      X