• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

August 2014 Warmest on record, globally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Let's be absolutely clear here. Did Hansen say there would be a 5m rise by the end of the century?
    of course he did.
    Hansen says lots of things, one of them was that sea levels would rise, under a certain set of assumprions, by 5 m by the end of the century.

pj and I discussed it. I was sceptical, he said it was an outlier
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      oh, we were discussing it, and pj called it an outlier, or some such

i.e. still a possibility, albeit with a small chance.

obvious alamism from Hansen. he got his scary headlines, which was what he was after
      So where did Hansen publish this. I'd like to see the context for myself.

Because you did say:

I wonder if he [pj] still believes in Hansens prediction that the West side would be under water by 2028
      And now you are saying that pj stated that he accepted that there is a possibility albeit with a small chance that there might be a 5 metre rise by the end of the century.

So, I'm a bit puzzled as to some of your wild claims about what scientists have published and that PJ has believed in.

So within the context of the above, perhaps you could state exactly what Hansen stated and exactly what PJ said about the claims.

Comment

Talk of Hansen & 5m outliers (by a different PJ):

Current Wisdom: Hansen

Comment

of course he did.
          Hansen says lots of things, one of them was that sea levels would rise, under a certain set of assumprions, by 5 m by the end of the century.

pj and I discussed it. I was sceptical, he said it was an outlier
          As I've said more than once, it would be nice to see the context (publication) for myself if you can provide it.

Comment

Thread:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1752654

Comment

**edit (wrong) edit** Paper:

xxxxxx

It's this:

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10....-7091-0973-1_2

If you google "Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change" you can get a (presumably ripped-off) pdf to takea peek at.
              Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 23 September 2014, 13:39.

Comment

Old Greg
                When the head of Nasa's climate team makes an alarmist statement and it gets published in hundreds of news outlets as a prediction, that is no accident. Hansen had exactly the effect that he went for. scary headlines. 5m by the end of the century
                whether it was peer reviewed or not, is irrelevant. It made the headlines. BIG headlines

The guy is an alarmist and a catastophist. I am glad that pj and others are distancing themselves from that stuff. even as an outlier, it was complete and utter nonsense.
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/1/011006/]Climate forcing growth rates: doubling down on our Faustian bargain - Abstract - Environmental Research Letters - IOPscience
                  We are sorry, an error has occurred...
                  Contact our support service
                  If there is an error with the site, please help us to improve our service by reporting the problem to our support team:
                  [email protected]

Comment

Old Greg
                    When the head of Nasa's climate team makes an alarmist statement and it gets published in hundreds of news outlets as a prediction, that is no accident. Hansen had exactly the effect that he went for. scary headlines. 5m by the end of the century
                    whether it was peer reviewed or not, is irrelevant. It made the headlines. BIG headlines

The guy is an alarmist and a catastophist. I am glad that pj and others are distancing themselves from that stuff. even as an outlier, it was complete and utter nonsense.
                    But wouldn't it be nice to see his actual words.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

xxxxxx

It's this:

Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change - Springer

If you google "Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change" you can get a (presumably ripped-off) pdf to takea peek at.
                      Got it thanks. Haven't seen the PDF, but the abstract looks good enough - and if you wnated headlines it would be in the abstract. So, I've extracted what I think is the key bit.

Satellite gravity data, though too brief to be conclusive, are consistent with a doubling time of 10 years or less, implying the possibility of multimeter sea level rise this century.
                      Now, EO, could you find me the bit where PJ said he believed in this possibility and then we're in business.

Comment

Working...
                      X