• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

August 2014 Warmest on record, globally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's called confirmation bias. Different people interpret the same data in different ways.
    If you skew your interpretation in a way that supports your hypothesis, thats confirmation bias.
    People who have an emotional stake in the game are particularly vulnerable.

emo people who have a hypothesis - danger will robinson
    detached people who are sceptical - very trustworthy
    the fact may be that this has been the hottest August ever. I would not dispute that unless there was scientific evidence to the contrary. If the zealots then say that the world will end in 2 years unless we pay squillions of money to Scientists to tell us we are going to die this is not fact. The zealots like to call anyone who disagrees with their prognosis as "deniers".
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If the zealots then say that the world will end in 2 years unless we pay squillions of money to Scientists to tell us we are going to die this is not fact. .
      Nobody is saying that are they? Or anything remotely like it.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

It's called confirmation bias. Different people interpret the same data in different ways.
        If you skew your interpretation in a way that supports your hypothesis, thats confirmation bias.
        People who have an emotional stake in the game are particularly vulnerable.

emo people who have a hypothesis - danger will robinson
        detached people who are sceptical - very trustworthy
        Let me know where I can find some of the latter, rather than people who think, for example, that a few carefully-lifted and much-repeated quotes from stolen private correspondence are sufficient to call a body of science dating back over a hundred years and the conclusions of thousands of studies, and the position of every scientific body of standing, into question.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Nobody is saying that are they? Or anything remotely like it.
          Unfortunately most lefties are also pretty witless and lack the emotional intelligence to understand things like metaphor or deliberate exaggerations to make a point. As you seem unable to see anything beyond its literal meaning then may I suggest you run a search on Google with the words "climate change - end of the world" I think you will find there are plenty of people predicting this.

Having done the search myself it is also interesting that many of the doom mongers offer some smidgen of hope. why? firstly to cover themselves just in case they are wrong. Secondly by offering a glimmer of hope they are assured that the gravy train from which they prosper remains switched on.

After all Vincent price - even though he had to make an example by hanging a few witches always gave anyone with a few bob a route to salvation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Mfes57Nt8
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I would not be suprised if PJ came along and said that he predicted this all along, and that increased ice was indeed caused by global warming
            No, the increase in Antarctic sea ice is a puzzle, the models forecast a modest decrease at this stage, rather than a modest (compared to the Arctic) increase, changes in wind patterns seem to be a factor.

But to describe this years Arctic ice numbers as an increase or a 'recovery' as some are, just because we haven't had another record low this year, well, that looks like the confirmation bias of which you speak. according to the US NSIDC

'On September 17, Arctic sea ice reached its likely minimum extent for 2014. This is now the sixth lowest extent in the satellite record and reinforces the long-term downward trend in Arctic ice extent

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              N

But to describe this years Arctic ice numbers as an increase or a 'recovery' as some are, just because we haven't had another record low this year, well, that looks like the confirmation bias of which you speak. according to the US NSIDC
              Again hardly factual is it? This is a prognosis where you disagree with someone else. presumably because you disagree with EOs prognosis this therefore make him a denier?

Comment

Unfortunately most lefties are also pretty witless and lack the emotional intelligence to understand things like metaphor or deliberate exaggerations to make a point.
                Was that a metaphor or deliberate exaggeration? I can't tell.

Comment

Type:

2014 coldest year on record

into Google

Comment

Again hardly factual is it? This is a prognosis where you disagree with someone else. presumably because you disagree with EOs prognosis this therefore make him a denier?
                    It could not be more factual. The facts are these: the Arctic ice reaches minimum extent in September, providing a time series. The September number this year on or near the trend line, and that trend is down. It is higher than 2012, which was a record low, so if you look at that insignificant timeframe you can talk of an 'increase' or a 'recovery'. That may not be flat-out denial however it is indicative of an ignorance of statistics, and a strong confirmation bias.
                    Last edited by pjclarke; 23 September 2014, 08:36.

Comment

Here's the August graph. 'Increasing?'

Comment

Working...
                      X