• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moan about elderly parents now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    ...His stupidity defies belief sometimes. ...
    Perhaps it's an hereditary condition?`
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

OP, your relationship with your father changes over time. Roles are swapped between father and son as you both get older.

Have a heart to heart before it's too late.

Ymmv.

Comment

If I was the old fella Id have cut you out of the will by now. He still has his marbles and does not want to be reminded of how old he is and how little time he has left.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          If I was the old fella Id have cut you out of the will by now. He still has his marbles and does not want to be reminded of how old he is and how little time he has left.
          That's because you is a cantankerous old git and if you were my dad I'd've sent you to Dignitas years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            He doesn't want to be reminded that he's 80. He's desperate to try and stop change and time because he really knows that every day is a day closer to death and is frightened of it.

He's not at peace with his own mortality.

HTH.
            WCS. Exactly.

Having been through this, the best thing you can do is spend time with him, talking, fishing, lap dancing, whatever if he's up to it. At some point he may also come round to your way of thinking about the move - let it come from him though.

Went through this with my Mum a few years ago and I wish I had understood it then. Too late now.

Comment

If he doen't to live with the disruption while things are being done, cant you get him away for the duration ?
              You could put him on a cruise ship for a week for a grand. a few days rate ?
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Feck me, tell me about it.

I was convinced this morning that I'd forgotten to tax my Corolla at the beginning of the month.

Instant panic.

I eventually found the documents with a receipt from the Post Office.

The tax disc was sitting on the seat of the car where I'd put it.

Looks like the brain rot is setting in already.

What's that swiss phone number again?

I may need to make a booking.
                You don't need a Swiss number you need a Luton number. Ask Suity Services to pop around and do some rewiring work for you and jobs a good'un.
                Last edited by MarillionFan; 21 September 2014, 12:06.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Feck me, tell me about it.

I was convinced this morning that I'd forgotten to tax my Corolla at the beginning of the month.

Instant panic.

I eventually found the documents with a receipt from the Post Office.

The tax disc was sitting on the seat of the car where I'd put it.

Looks like the brain rot is setting in already.

What's that swiss phone number again?

I may need to make a booking.
                  They only take humans, the Blue Cross may sort you out if you are a bit broke.........
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Cheers all.

I reckon I do come across as a bit of a git towards him but he is a complete nightmare to be honest. I do all the sorting out for him (brother is complete bell-end always in the pub) which ain't a problem - all I ask in return is he listens to what I say, lets me deal with it, and doesn't kick off unreasonable because of some stupid idea hes got in his head.

The leaking ceiling thing a few weeks nearly made my head explode. Water was leaving from his shower into the kitchen. I phoned the housing association, sorted it all out for them to get builders/plumbers in to fix it (they were even paying 60% because he part-owns the flat). This was all during the say whilst working at client site. Spent ages doing it.

Then he kicks off and says hes stressed, cant cope with it all, and wants to leave it. FFS it ain't gonna stop leaking on his own. No matter how many times I tried to tell him he would be really stressed when the ceiling fell on his head he wouldn't have it. Took me ages in the end.

Of course, came back from hols, and it'd been done. One day, builders came, sorted decorated, job done, no hassle no mess. He was happy. So dear son was right then Dad?

The stairs thing too. FFS he can hardly walk up the stairs yet hes not willing to entertain thinking about the future. I can see it happening. He'll take a tumble and end up in hospital. Then he'll demand I'm there at 3pm every day to visit him (hospital is 40 miles from where I live) because hes 'stressed, lonely, and miserable stuck in hospital'. The fact that I've got a client to go to won't matter any more (this is from the guy who criticises me if I ever take a day off because "You lose money - if it was me I'd never take a day off, you must have more money than sense" - the rules will suddenly change).

I've got a 1 year old at home, and a wife who's been off work for two years and can hardly walk up the stairs herself. So not something I can do for too long.

Those who have been in a similar situation will realise how annoying it is when parents wont even think about things to try and avoid things like this.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      The two things aren't mutually exclusive. If one's stressed out thinking one's likely to die every day, it can make it hard to realise how one's attitudes and behaviour are affecting other people, I would imagine.

It's a shame he reacted so badly to the children's gift though. If you can't get him to apologise, you'll have to find a way to explain to them why he was like that. Luckily, children tend to be a lot more understanding of such things than we expect them to be: most things adults do seem freaking idiotic to them
                      Not sure if it is this to be honest. Keeps going on about how hes done well been retired 22 years and how his own father died at 70 so hes done well. (Bit different though - he was a miner and died due to the 'dust' due to mining all those years).

Not worth mentioning to him. If I do he'll just get stressed hes upset anyone and then be telling me he cant sleep because hes worried about it etc and just do my head in. I dont think his behaviour is deliberate its just he does not think and has got so set in his ways in his old age.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X