• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay as a PAYE Employee, or start Contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reece240692 View Post
    I realise that, I'd call them back when it's convenient, also they have paid for it, but in the event of termination they'd take 100 to cover expenses apparently
    In your next permanent job do not sign a contract with a clause in like that unless it explicitly lists what the money is to cover as the word "expenses" is sufficiently vague. The DBS and Disclosure Scotland checks do not cost £100. Even if they add their admin costs on to it, it doesn't come up to £100.

You can also negotiate a permanent contract, and get them to alter and remove clauses. Though you need to have a very good reason for getting clauses removed and altered i.e. for example if you do work for an opensource project and they want the IP you can get them to exclude that particular type of work.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The more I read this thread the more I think the OP is working for a really shady outfit.

The only claw back clause I have ever seen in a contract of employment is based around not returning physical things (like uniforms etc)

I have seen people ask for and be sent on training course with a caveat that if they left within x months/years they have to pay something back but not as part of an initial contract of employment.

My actual advice to you is to take the contracting role and expect to be out of work in 4 weeks but you will also not be working for a bunch of cowboys.

Harsh maybe but I cannot see your employers ever being on the right side of shady.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
        'A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest'

You're not listening.

Your employer sees a way of saving employers NI, pension contributions and sick pay, parental leave, holiday pay, redundancy pay, etc. by letting you pay it.

It's a trap, stay perm.

FTFY
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

if you are worried about being paid weekly, how do you feel about getting paid in 90 days?

from what you say your employer is decidedly dodgy, slow payment is almost sure.

from what I see its probably not a good idea, get some experience & certs and then go contracting.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Slightly different question, I'm permy now always been permy at my employer I never did contract to perm in fact I actively avoided it due to the IR35 implications. HOWEVER where I am working now as a permy I have seen a 4-5 people who were contractors here for 3-4 years switch to perm here, they do the same role, sit at the same desk, no change just job title, even as contractors I would of seen then as 'part and parcel of the teams' infact they were keyman dependencies, would that mean they are for sure an IR35 fail ? Yes I am turning into a bitter permie
            Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 15 September 2014, 10:14.
            I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              Slightly different question, I'm permy now always been permy at my employer I never did contract to perm in fact I actively avoided it due to the IR35 implications. HOWEVER where I am working now as a permy I have seen a 4-5 people who were contractors here for 3-4 years switch to perm here, they do the same role, sit at the same desk, no change just job title, even as contractors I would of seen then as 'part and parcel of the teams' infact they were keyman dependencies, would that mean they are for sure an IR35 fail ? Yes I am turning into a bitter permie
              Very likely but it's up to HMRC to find them.

I do know some people who have gone contact to perm but the role they are in now has a different title from the role they had when they were a contractor. So even if it looks to all around them they are doing the same job on paper they aren't.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                You are either explaining it very, very badly or you have completely found the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  The more I read this thread the more I think the OP is working for a really shady outfit.

The only claw back clause I have ever seen in a contract of employment is based around not returning physical things (like uniforms etc)

I have seen people ask for and be sent on training course with a caveat that if they left within x months/years they have to pay something back but not as part of an initial contract of employment.

My actual advice to you is to take the contracting role and expect to be out of work in 4 weeks but you will also not be working for a bunch of cowboys.

Harsh maybe but I cannot see your employers ever being on the right side of shady.
                  Indeed, but say I were to stay on the books what are the chances of anything changing?

Comment

Working...
                  X