• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's all the home grown talent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Currently helping client co. get a new contractor on board & I'm busy sifting through CVs.

My overriding thoughts are wouldn't it be nice to have a few CVs with names like Michael Jones or Jennifer Brown at the top instead of Sanjeev Gupta or Nitin Choudhary?

Where are they all?
    So what if Sanjeev and Nitin are homegrown? they can be 2nd or 3d generation immigrants

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Some of the Indians I have worked with were educated in the UK and some in India. There are certainly a few culteral things to be learnt if they are Indian Educated. But either way their work quality is good. And they work damned hard.

10 years ago that was not often the case. They are getting better and better. And they will overtake us. The west is doomed.
      unfortunately for us you are right
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        unfortunately for us you are right
        Historicvally the West and East have had fairly close living standards. They started to digress 200 years ago. The pendulum is swinging.

I have told my kids to get a UK education then go East. Very very sad as I love this country. And oddly I love the very mixed culture that I work in. There are way too many who believe that the world owes us a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          We've already identified that you're an ignorant racist cretinous prick, so need to provide further evidence. But thank you for your time.
          You're the prick pal.

Comment

You're the prick pal.
            But you don't even know what race I am, so how can you make a judgment?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              We've already identified that you're an ignorant racist cretinous prick, so need to provide further evidence. But thank you for your time.
              +1, What a tw@t

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                +1, What a tw@t
                IIRC zoco is a sockie.

Comment

Ok, so if it's a UK born person with an Indian name it doesn't go in the bin. As for Indians that were educated in the EU - well that doesn't seem to be much middle ground. You either have Indians born and educated in the subcontinent or UK born people of Indian decent that were educated here.

And as for all the cries of racism - I've worked in the middle east for a number of years & just you wait until the on-shored Indians are in middle management. Then you'll really need to watch your back. Ask any Saudi / Dubai expat about the Indian Mafia.

And what happens when there's another slump with all those Indian programmers surplus to requirements - think they're all going to go home? I get the impression they've all got their feet firmly under the table.

Sounds harsh, I know - but that's the way I feel.
                  I'm not racist but......

BTW I've met and worked alongside people of Indian origin educated in other EU countries, SA, Oz and the US who for some reason decide to work over in the UK.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    So what if Sanjeev and Nitin are homegrown? they can be 2nd or 3d generation immigrants
                    You know already some British people are thick.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      around £1.2k a week? For the joy of working with me? They should have been queueing around the block.
                      30 per hour + all the unwanted gropes an eastern European developer could want.

Comment

Working...
                      X