• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who expects to still be contracting in 5 years time ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viktor
    IR35 compliant?
    I'm afraid so.

Comment

Just become a manager who spends his time surfing all day.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Either a)

Keep contracting till my experience gets me a well paid ( 100k+ )
        senior permie role with a decent pension and all the goodies.

or b)

Turn what I do now into a pukka consultancy business and get bought out by one of the big boys for large amounts of wonga and retire on that.

So basically yes, I'll still be "contracting" in 5 years and hopefully at the point where I get to choose between taking A or going for B.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
          I'm afraid so.
          I bet you act like a Permie
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Plan is to gain experience at lots of sites for the next 5 years (went contracting in March), then go permie at a 'top 5' consultancy.

Previous permie job was middle management, but wanted to spread my wings for a few years and pay off a chunk of mortgage in the process.

Is this wrong?
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I hope to work hard contracting for the next 5 years, save up , pay off my mortgage and then choose whether to live in this tulipehole or move to Oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                I bet you act like a Permie
                No, not all. I was a permie before I became a contractor 12 years ago, and I my current client treats me like what I am, a contractor. The first 6 years I was on 3 month extensions, followed by 6 month ones. This is the first year I actually got a 1 year extension.

Comment

once again

Milan,
                  I'm sure we go through this every couple of months.
                  To refresh the late comers, the idea is to turn your Ltd into something of value.

I bet 98 percent of the Ltds used by this board have only one asset and that is the director. If you left your company I bet your Ltd would probably be worthless.
                  The trick whilst you're all busy contracting is to make the Ltd have value. This can be either a software package (e.g. SKA), a web site that brings in money (Fiddle's car parts site), even a database full of contacts you have made - which an agency would like to have, etc.

Once you have actually got value in your Ltd (and I don't mean a cash stock pile which gets slowly eroded via dividend distribution) you have a fighting chance of selling it, or put some CEO in your place. Sit back and take the profits.

That's the way forward for the entrepreneurs among us. If you are a bum on sit contractor, one BAD down turn will wipe you out.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    Who expects to still be contracting in 5 years time ?

if not what will you be doing in 5 years time ?

Milan.
                    I will be dead in 5 years time.

Or so the IR will think......
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
                      I will be dead in 5 years time.

Or so the IR will think......
                      I hope that is what they think I am now.
                      Blair, you cannot reach me now,
                      No matter how you try,
                      Goodbye cruel Labour,
                      Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Working...
                      X