• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extremely boring washing machine question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over a grand seems rather expensive to me. Given you can buy something with 1400rpm, 7kg/5kg for £400 with 2 years warranty from a named brand, you could buy 3 for the price. And even if each only lasts 3-4 years, you're probably ahead of the game.

That's the rub for me - it's not like the cheaper £3-400 ones boast worse specs. They typically are A-rated for energy, spin at 1400rpm and will take 7kg of clothes. And from a quck look on Currys, there are a slew of such models scoring 8+ on Revoo so it's not like people are unhappy with them. If it's only about (perceived) reliability I'd rather not risk spending all my money on something that HAS to last 10+ years to be worth it?

I was thinking of going somewhere in the middle - £5-600 - since we can now afford decent white goods. But only if it is actually getting us something, otherwise I might as well spend £350 on a Hoover and takea chance it won't conk out right away.
    Last edited by d000hg; 9 September 2014, 14:35.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Drills are way more exciting. For instance, mine has a hammer attachment and a little LED. None of the washing machines have a torch.
      Mine has a light in the drum that comes on when you open the door.

Comment

Well the Samsung for £480 gives you 5 years warranty (including labour)...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          So you can do some sneaky washing while getting a midnight snack?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Not boring at all - a very timely and interesting question/thread for me, as I need a reliable washing machine for my new place.

I was planning to buy a MIELE WKF120 this friday, for £1200 (less £100); but I might be talked into a slightly more expensive one if it makes much difference.

You seem to pay significantly more when the spin speed goes from 1400 RPM to 1600 RPM, which seems hardly worth bothering about. Maybe the higher spin speed dries the contents slightly better; but I'd be happier to pay more for a larger capacity and of course reliability.
            £1200 quid, are you mad? Like you said 1400 to 1600 will make little difference. This one has the same load and also a quick wash.
            Buy Bosch Exxcel WAQ28461GB Washing Machine, 8kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1400rpm Spin, White | John Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Is it on when you don't open the door?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                £1200 quid, are you mad? Like you said 1400 to 1600 will make little difference. This one has the same load and also a quick wash.
                Buy Bosch Exxcel WAQ28461GB Washing Machine, 8kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1400rpm Spin, White | John Lewis
                I'm not remotely interested in paying through the nose for dozens of elaborate washing programs that I'll never use - The wash temperature is always 60 deg whatever goes in, from silk to linen.

That's the trouble - Although Miele has the name for robustness, I suspect with some of these expensive ones it's the ridiculous profusion of programs that costs a lot of the money.

Ideally I'd have a Miele with just one button marked "START (60 degrees)"
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Other than miele, who seem to sell direct only, does it actually matter where you buy these things from? If there's a problem in the warranty period does the seller have any involvement or would you be dealing with the manufacturer direct? One model we're looking at is as cheap on John Lewis as anywhere else but others are significantly cheaper online with discount white good sellers.
                  I can get 10% cashback on ao.com but I never heard of them before...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Hi all. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Other than miele, who seem to sell direct only, does it actually matter where you buy these things from? If there's a problem in the warranty period does the seller have any involvement or would you be dealing with the manufacturer direct? One model we're looking at is as cheap on John Lewis as anywhere else but others are significantly cheaper online with discount white good sellers.
                    I can get 10% cashback on ao.com but I never heard of them before...
                    ao was called appliance-online and floated on the stock exchange earlier this year worth over a billion Its basically the company that destroyed comet and scares Dixon's witless.

I don't think it matters where you buy from if anything goes wrong you need to deal with the manufacturer's repair company anyway....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have got all my white goods from John Lewis as if any goes wrong they are much better to deal with than most other companies.
                      Growing old is mandatory
                      Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                      X