• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm not that certain many will be racing for membership, if I'm to believe the resident fraternity. Good on them say, if they mean it.
    All the more reason to come clean with the legal advice. In or out of the EU for an independent Scotland is pretty fundamental.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      All the more reason to come clean with the legal advice. In or out of the EU for an independent Scotland is pretty fundamental.
      There's controversy on the whole subject. But from what I'm hearing on the ground, there's more important things to be tackled.

Indeed, why is it so important when the rest of the UK is trying to get out?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There's controversy on the whole subject. But from what I'm hearing on the ground, there's more important things to be tackled.

It's important because if people are voting to stop being ruled from Westminster, why would they want to simply swap them for Brussels instead?

Comment

Because much of the rest of the UK is filled with half crazed little Englanders who mainline the Daily Mail every morning. Don't leave me with them.

Although, hopefully I'll be in Ireland by then so I can just get the .

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Have we done a poll?

Here's some totty to keep you entertained while you're waiting.

FTFY
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              It's important because if people are voting to stop being ruled from Westminster, why would they want to simply swap them for Brussels instead?
              People in the EU are not ruled from Brussels. HTH BIVVVVMDI.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Ohhh you're teasing me. That would be a dream for most, I'm certain of that.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  What do you think will happen if they follow through on their threat to walk away from the debt.

Westminster will take it's revenge - and why not - the Scots won't be able to retaliate, because they will have played all their cards - what more can they do - refuse to export Scotch whiskey to us.
                  It's not a threat.

Scots have paid into the assets including the BoE over the centuries of the union so we are entitled to a share back, which includes Sterling. We have said we will take our share of the debt if we get our share of the assets.

If the assets are withheld from us then it's only fair that we don't get any of the debts. It has been stated by the treasury that they will take on the whole debt so Scotland wouldn't be defaulting.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    It's not a threat.

Scots have paid into the assets including the BoE over the centuries of the union so we are entitled to a share back, which includes Sterling. We have said we will take our share of the debt if we get our share of the assets.

If the assets are withheld from us then it's only fair that we don't get any of the debts. It has been stated by the treasury that they will take on the whole debt so Scotland wouldn't be defaulting.
                    Sterling is a currency not an asset. But if you insist, we split sterling into the EWNI pound and the Scottish pound.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      It's not a threat.

This BoE as an asset argument really is cobblers. What about all the other assets? Schools, hospitals, railway lines, public services, etc. etc., all these real assets paid for by the UK treasury that Scotland will get to keep without paying its share of the debt that in part paid for them. And the most important part of the "asset" that is the BoE is that the UK tax payer guarantees debts over future decades/centuries. Why should an independent Scotland get to borrow against that guarantee, and to what extent can you say Scotland is taking on its share of the debt if that share is still guaranteed by the UK?
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X