• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jemb View Post
    Genius.
    Personally, I think so. Me and my Nokia 3110 couldn't give a shit
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Scotland currently has the highest employment rate of the four countries in the United Kingdom - so it's not been too bad.
      So maybe it's time we ditched those workshy scroungers

Head before heart I'm afraid. I have three kids and "a period of hardship" isn't really an option.
      Fair do's - can't fault a man trying to do his best for his family, other than try to convince him he's in error that is.

Einstein was right - Nationalism is an infantile disease.
      You speak of Nationalism (a word imbued with distasteful connotations), that might drive some; but for others it's the aspiration for self-determination, for self-reliance that motivates.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post

You speak of Nationalism (a word imbued with distasteful connotations), that might drive some; .
        it drives a few too many, thankfully that generation is getting old. My teenage kids think it's all a bit sad. They see the world as a big open place. Nationalism they see as an old person's disease.
        I'm sure the rest of the UK's refusal to sanction a currency union will give it legs though.

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
        but for others it's the aspiration for self-determination, for self-reliance that motivates.
        which is all very nice and lovely and I'll stick my kilt on and do a jig.

But, that's are all a tad rubbish when the cost for these aspirations may well be people's jobs. I aspire to high employment, an NHS free at the point of delivery Scotland qualifying for ONE (please Lord) major championship.
        Devo Max will deliver a lot, but not all, of my aspirations.

'Yes' is just not worth a punt.

Comment

Yeah - seriously she's a consultant shrink. She does mess with my head quite a lot. I think it amuses her. Just confuses me.
          she was the 'settler' then?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

it drives a few too many, thankfully that generation is getting old. My teenage kids think it's all a bit sad. They see the world as a big open place. Nationalism they see as an old person's disease.
            I'm sure the rest of the UK's refusal to sanction a currency union will give it legs though.

which is all very nice and lovely and I'll stick my kilt on and do a jig.

But, that's are all a tad rubbish when the cost for these aspirations may well be people's jobs. I aspire to high employment, an NHS free at the point of delivery Scotland qualifying for ONE (please Lord) major championship.
            Devo Max will deliver a lot, but not all, of my aspirations.

'Yes' is just not worth a punt.
            We're not gettgin Devo Max though.

Comment

David can’t help the No campaign – he’s less popular in Scotland than Windows 8

Telling it like it is..

David Cameron can’t help the No campaign – he’s less popular in Scotland than Windows 8

Apparently the consequences of a split in the union could be calamitous. The skies will fall and the seas will boil and the dead shall rise and the milk will spoil. There will be a great disturbance in the force. Duncan’s horses will turn and eat each other. Starving ravens will peck out your eyes halfway through the Great British Bake Off. Your dad will give birth to a jackal full of hornets. And in London’s last remaining DVD shop, Gregory’s Girl will quietly be re-categorised as “world cinema”.
              Nonetheless, Ed Miliband will visit Scotland to inspire people. To do what? Join Isis?
              Cameron can’t help here, of course. In Scotland, David Cameron is less popular than Windows 8. He’s the physical embodiment of everything a fair percentage of Scottish people hate: a ruddy-faced old Etonian walking around like he just inherited the place, sporting a permanently shiny chin as though he’s just enjoyed a buttery crumpet in front of the cricket. Worse still, he’s a lizard. An actual lizard. Send him to Scotland to make a speech and the moment a crowd member shouts “boo!” or hurls an egg, Cameron will “display” by raising the hyoid bone of his throat and enlarging his dewlap in a bid to intimidate potential predators. And that won’t play well on Scotland Tonight.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 9 September 2014, 07:24.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

That's been obvious for some time it's not exactly breaking news is it, why do you think he chose not to take part in any televised debates with Salmond? Personally I wish he would to so it would seal Scotland's independance.

The loss of 59 Labour MP's from the UK would cheer me up immensely
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

I've got to say I don't understand this 'Independence thingy'. The Scots say they want independence, but at the same time want a Currency Union with rUk. Well for a currency union to be seen as viable by the markets spending and borrowing limits would have to be imposed on Scotland by the rUk Treasury/BOE. So all this is to get an 'Independent' Nation whose interest rates, borrowing and spending would be controlled by another nation? Is that what 'Yes' is really all about?

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

The loss of 59 Labour MP's from the UK would cheer me up immensely
                    You're obviously not like some of your fellow citizens dependent on food banks, social housing.

Victorian times will seems like luxury.

I'm reminded of Blackadder when thinking of the future england

Moving quickly, Blackadder realises that Buxomley represented the constituency of Dunny-on-the-Wold, a rotten borough consisting of a tiny plot of land with several farm animals – 3 rather mangy cows, a Dachshund named Colin and a small hen in its late forties. Blackadder schemes to elect Baldrick as the constituency's new MP to ensure that he votes in favour of the Prince.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      They'll use the pound. And no one the rUK can stop them.
                      Scotland can call its currency anything it likes, but it won't actually be a pound; it'll be some contrivance that is tied to the pound in some way, but it won't be a pound. It doesn't matter how one dresses it up, Scotland's ****ed if it goes down this route.

I've already got my USD account on hold and waiting for me to pull the trigger on my Scottish holdings. I only hope that my property value doesn't tank before I have the chance to sell it.
                      Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Working...
                      X