• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    No, it is not 'all our fiscal policies' - that's an absurd exaggeration. But there would be rules and oversight, and there in ZERO appetite for in in EWNI - always getting the blame for clipping iScotland's wings. The only possible way I can see it might happen would be to prevent a serious economic collapse in iScotland, and I don't think that is at all on the cards. They'll do OK with the scots pound (although anyone who voted YES under false pretences may experience a degree of buyer's remorse).
    But most economists are now saying the problem with the Euro is currency union without fiscal union. It would be absurd for EWNI and iScotland to have a currency union that repeated the mistakes of the Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      Some of today's updates.

A caller tells John Swinney he has lost £7,000 in his Standard Life fund since the weekend.

John Swinney says there are "all sorts of different factors" that affect these funds.
      "What I am interested in is making sure that we create stability for companies like Standard Life
      and that is why I am arguing for the currency union."

The caller to BBC Radio Scotland hits back, saying that for working men to lose £7,000 in a weekend is "diabolical"

FT and Scotsman Endorese Better Together
      Today's FT editorial reads: "Empires and nation states are not immune to break-up, but there is little precedent for
      a hitherto stable modern democracy splitting apart in peacetime,
      in the middle of an economic recovery. This is not the time for recrimination. For the moment, it is enough for
      this newspaper to declare that the path of separation is a fool’s errand, one fraught with danger and uncertainty."

The Scotsman reads: "Does the Union cast a dark shadow over us? It does not seem that way, Scotland is a
      prosperous, peaceful, successful country. We are confident in our national identity with our own distinctive society.
      We have our history and heritage.

"So, with the choices before us, the conclusion is that we are better together, that Scotland’s best interests lie not
      in creating division but in continuing in the Union and using its strengths to help us continue in our success.

Sir Charlie Mayfield, the Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership said it was "most probable that most retailers" would hike prices for their goods in an independent Scotland.

He said costs to transport and sell products were higher in parts of Scotland but that these differences are currently off-set by the business in the rest of the UK.

He also said that while John Lewis would work "extremely hard" to keep the partnership going in an independent Scotland he would "regret" anything that would create a "significant divergence" between the two countries.

He said: "There are economic consequences to a yes vote not just in uncertainly but some of the turmoil we are hearing about. And it is also the case that it does cost more money to trade more money in parts of Scotland and therefore those high costs in the case of the yes vote are more likely to be passed on, and a number of retailers have said that.

"On the day after the referendum the shops are going to open on time nothing will change, a great difficulty everyone has is the uncertainties that surround it.

"It does currently cost for various reasons – regulation, transport costs etc, it does cost more money to serve parts of Scotland but most retailers don’t run differ prices they absorb that in the totality.

"If you just go forward several years –the sort of divergence of different things and particularly currency creates the likelihood, not the certainty that cost would be higher. And when you are talking about two different countries I think it is most probable that most retailers will start pricing differently and my view would be that that would lead to some higher prices."
      More scaremongering. The first minister has unveiled his new 10 year economic strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
        But most economists are now saying the problem with the Euro is currency union without fiscal union. It would be absurd for EWNI and iScotland to have a currency union that repeated the mistakes of the Euro.
        You are not suppose to put well thought out arguments and quotes in this thread just tulip to wind up the Yes voters.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You are not suppose to put well thought out arguments and quotes in this thread just tulip to wind up the Yes voters.
          It's actually the well thought out arguments and quotes that wind them up more.
          Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Saves you having to engage what little intellect you have in trying to deal with the problems - real or supposed.
            Millenium

Who will get the 2000th post?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Me bad, I stand corrected!

Comment

I am mostly ambivalent to the referendum but if it’s as close as they say I feel for the c.50% that won’t get what they want.

Also: if it’s a Yes vote then the No’s just have to live with it, but if it’s a No vote then will the Yes give up, or will they be back next year?
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

I am sure that they wont be allowed to have another for 20 years at least. It has been damaging to the economy in Scotland and I don't think the nationalists will be allowed to have this tulipe again.

I think with the economy growing nobody will be bothered soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
                    What a f***ing mess. Poliitcally and economically there will be no CU - ..
                    Of course there'll be one. And there's nothing you can do about it.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Do you think London wants to supervise Scottish fiscal affairs, approving and vetoing budgets?
                      It matters not if they do or they want. They have very little room for manoeuvre. And they know it.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X