• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the IPSE CC members who post here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Given that the PCG had 23000 members tops, and the IPSE forum has 48178 members, that's a lot of people who aren't paid up members. Or the software can't count.
    I wonder if there's a way to register sockies...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      I'm just a normal member but one of the privilages is membership of the IPSE forums to discuss internal matters.
      Which they do ad nauseum. I think that they'd do better to get on with stuff, but the consensus other there always seemed to be on how best to sort the paperclips.

That might have changed, but I doubt it.
      Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Oh what? I've just got the hang of HTH and now there's been an outbreak of BIDIs. It's almost as if you all just need to keep me guessing.

EDIT: But I Doubt It. Ha

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          The evening I went to had freelancers in marketing, PR, finance and counselling who are independent professionals and self-employed but don't work like contractors. (There are other people I know/known in similar things.) Likewise we use to have social worker on here.

You would tell care workers to join a union, but unions aren't appropriate if you are a freelancer in marketing or PR who is experienced and making a decent living out of it.
          True, but that isn't the justification that was being used

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

And that explains the huge proportion of university leavers how...?

Of course, there's an element of what you're saying, but the point is there's a lot of people working without a contract of employment. They still need support and representation, whether you call them "professionals" or not. And, amazingly to most on here I suspect, IR35 is a minor element of that support.

Now a professional marketing or PR professional is a perfect market for IPSE to target but they are not the people malvolio is talking about there. And IPSE (unless it has utterly changed its spots) is absolutely not the best organisation to be protecting the rights of those who freelance because they cannot find the permanent job their would prefer...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Missing the point - happy to discuss the good works of IPSE on here, but not to engage in complaint handling. There's a difference.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
              You can discuss it here as much as you like but I wouldn't expect any answers to questions relating to the running of the organisation.

I'm just a normal member but one of the privilages is membership of the IPSE forums to discuss internal matters.
              Its not an internal matter. My question was why should I be recommending IPSE (as a none member) to the people malvolio stated are 1 reason for the rebrand.

And remember he explicitly references graduates doing freelance work. Of whom I know a fair few and all of them are doing freelance work because they cannot find the permanent job their would prefer....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Given that the PCG had 23000 members tops, and the IPSE forum has 48178 members, that's a lot of people who aren't paid up members. Or the software can't count.
                And that is explained perfectly in the forums, which you can read. And for the benefit of non-members, as we don't delete old posts, people who have been and then gone need to be counted in the forum software need to remain in the forum users database otherwise their posts would disappear. And you wonder why we don't want to argue with the petty nonsense that faqqer spouts in public.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                  And that is explained perfectly in the forums, which you can read. And for the benefit of non-members, as we don't delete old posts, people who have been and then gone need to be counted in the forum software need to remain in the forum users database otherwise their posts would disappear. And you wonder why we don't want to argue with the petty nonsense that faqqer spouts in public.
                  I've found the explanation now, thank you.

It was only added 18 minutes before my comment, and I wasn't looking at the IPSE forums, but nonetheless I apologise for not having checked carefully enough why the count was out.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X