• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorists or victims?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can see the problem when you look at the citizenship test in the Independent.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl..._campaign=i100

WTF does any of that have to do with being a useful British citizen? After first establishing they speak good English, are likely to be high earners who will make a very positive contribution, do not have any serious existing health conditions and are willing to integrate, they should ask questions like:

Do you support democracy, a secular society, freedom of choice of the individual provided it does not unduly impact others and equality for all British citizens?

Also, depending on country of origin, they should be required to say they understand and accept specific British laws, like those against FMG, honour killing, forced marriage or poaching and do not have any stupid beliefs like witchcraft.

Citizenship should also be provisional for at least five years. Any lies in the application, serious crime or unreasonable use of our services should be grounds for revocation and deportation.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 September 2014, 19:01.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      You can see the problem when you look at the citizenship test in the Independent.

WTF does any of that have to do with being a useful British citizen? After first establishing they speak good English, are likely to be high earners who will make a very positive contribution, do not have any serious existing health conditions and are willing to integrate, they should ask questions like:

Do you support democracy, a secular society, freedom of choice of the individual provided it does not unduly impact others and equality for all British citizens?

Also, depending on country of origin, they should be required to say they understand and accept specific British laws, like those against FMG, honour killing, forced marriage or poaching and do not have any stupid beliefs like witchcraft.

Citizenship should also be provisional for at least five years. Any lies in the application, serious crime or unreasonable use of our services should be grounds for revocation and deportation.
      You are a bit of a wishy-washy liberal aren't you?

Comment

From the OP:
        I am concerned about the presumption that all the young men coming back from Syria are terrorists. It is likely that some are suffering post-traumatic stress and need help.
        Some will have come back disillusioned, having gone out to fight for a cause and found barbarity and cruelty instead. I hope they are being treated individually and humanely rather than demonised.

Mary Barnes
        London NW5
        Well today Dave has announced the solution.
        Don't worry the youngsters will be fine aftewards:

British jihadists to be forced to attend deradicalisation programmes, says Cameron - Telegraph

In a Commons statement, Mr Cameron said: “Adhering to British values is not an option or a choice.
        So, they must learn to love Big Brother again:

For those getting excited by this, I'm afraid the article isn't close to these films/books.

There are a number of different programmes currently running that the government could use to deradicalise terrorists.

The Al Furqan programme, which is run in prisons, uses Imams to challenge the views of extremist Islam through religious teaching.

The Healthy Identities Intervention is a more introspective approach where psychotherapists try to discover what triggered terrorists to become radicalised.
        Which although fairly weak, is apparently much better than how things were being handled before now:

Mr Cameron said: “I think it is important that Prevent is focused on counter-radicalisation.

“In the past some money was spent on organisations who were part of the problem rather than the solution."
        Say what?
        How exactly did we happen to spend money on organisations that were 'part of the problem'?

Comment

None of them are going to say "No" are they?

Haven't you seen those immigration programs on Sky?

I know how to lie to immigration in various countries if I wanted to work abroad illegally and what not to pack......

You do realise most of those damn idiots are British born or highly skilled immigrants? Like these
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You do realise most of those damn idiots are British born or highly skilled immigrants? Like these
            Or this one: David Cameron unveils new terror crackdown as Scots girl incites massacre on Britain | Mail Online

or this one: White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group | Mail Online

or this one: British-born rapper is main suspect in search for ISIS jihadist who beheaded James Foley - NY Daily News

or these: Our boys in the Islamic state: Britain's export jihad » The Spectator

It is a simple question, but there are only fragments of an answer. The question is: Why do so many Muslims, born in Britain, turn to jihadism?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

UK Exports are low

Despite all the concerns over UK citizens fighting abroad, it seems we are way down the league in terms of proportion

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Do you have any kind of estimate as to what % of Muslims, born in Britain, turn to jihadism?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Do you have any kind of estimate as to what % of Muslims, born in Britain, turn to jihadism?
                  about .02% . thats my estimate
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Yes, but I'm not going to tell you (*) Actually I don't think that these young people turning to jihadism are truly representative of real Muslims. The Muslims that I know would never believe of acting in this way

(* Kippers, NBR, EDL, etc. members probably could though )
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X