• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identify the Film...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the answer, but fairly recently I watched Time After Time for the first time in a few decades. It stars Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells, who has actually invented the Time Machine he described in his eponymous short novel and invites a select group of friends round to be the first to see it; but, unbeknown to him, one of his friends is actually Jack the Ripper, and on the verge of capture by the police

Said friend steals the Time Machine and escapes to 1979, where the machine is located in a museum in San Francisco; but it automatically returns to Wells' home in the 19th Century, due to a safety mechanism reliant on a key which Wells still possesses. (You can see the whole temporal paradox business raising its head here.)

So Wells follows his friend to San Francisco in 1979, to prevent Jack the Ripper from continuing his reign of terror in a different century on another continent...

You know, I'm going to watch it again, right now! It's a ripping yarn, and they made good play of Wells realising how much of the stuff he'd proposed in his capacity as a futurist had actually come to pass

Particularly the "Free Love" bit

Comment

Does anyone remeber 'the flip side of Dominic Hyde'

that were good. a couple of bbc telly episodes though, not a fillum
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Good one, but no, like me you fell down the Hugh Bonneville trap. I though it was this, downloaded it and it wasn't...

I think me thinking it was Hugh Bonneville thing is a red haddock...
        Could it have been this TV series? (Yes, Hugh Bonneville is in it!)

Lost in Austen (TV Mini-Series 2008) - IMDb
        Lost in Austen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

None of these chaps, it's quite definitely based around this horse stable/hay loft, and the character is rich in one setting and poor in the other (I think!).

It's typically British, nicely shot, has the feel of a TV movie.....

For me the stinking Victorian village is the memorable bit, makes the hero realise the stuff his ancestors did.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            It's typically British, nicely shot, has the feel of a TV movie.....
            It's funny it's something I used to notice as a kid but I never found anyone else who noticed: ever since I can remember I could always identify whether a film or show was British or American just by seeing a few frames of it. I guess this is because of the tendency of American output to be shot on video compared with Britain's preference for film. Or perhaps the colour differences between PAL and NTSC. To me the difference in picture is so obvious.

Comment

Greenlake, here's one for ya. Horror/ghost story film with foppish, brideshead revisited types living in a big mansion house with lots of pipes clanking all time. I'd say filmed in the 1970s.

Sorry for the vaugeness as I must have been 15 at the but I remember it scaring the bejeezus out of me. Then I found out my dad had watched it also and he got spooked as well. I love a good ghost story.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                It's funny it's something I used to notice as a kid but I never found anyone else who noticed: ever since I can remember I could always identify whether a film or show was British or American just by seeing a few frames of it. I guess this is because of the tendency of American output to be shot on video compared with Britain's preference for film. Or perhaps the colour differences between PAL and NTSC. To me the difference in picture is so obvious.
                I could spot the difference straight away. It was particularly noticeable with stuff shot for TV if I remember correctly.

At the time I put it down to the difference between the UK's 625 lines and the 480(?) used by NTSC, but it might be more complicated than that. That the colours were different might be down to the conversion process from NTSC to PAL.

Was the difference was so striking if watched on a genuine US telly in the US?
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

There was one I saw after some particularly strong mushrooms. It was a bunch of dogs. They all could take. Looked like Paris and I swear they protected the king / queen. Very weird.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    Greenlake, here's one for ya. Horror/ghost story film with foppish, brideshead revisited types living in a big mansion house with lots of pipes clanking all time. I'd say filmed in the 1970s.

Sorry for the vaugeness as I must have been 15 at the but I remember it scaring the bejeezus out of me. Then I found out my dad had watched it also and he got spooked as well. I love a good ghost story.

qh
                    Not much to go on, but here's one candidate....

The Stone Tape (TV Movie 1972) - IMDb

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      There was one I saw after some particularly strong mushrooms. It was a bunch of dogs. They all could take. Looked like Paris and I swear they protected the king / queen. Very weird.
                      Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

Comment

Working...
                      X