• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bad flying experience thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I had a bird strike on Singapore airlines once.
    She was an air hostess named Chin Chow Sung. I was watching as things got lined up on her landing strip whan an increase in pressure caused a loss of thrust.
    In the resulting turbulence her mask came down, worryingly, but then her mae west inflated, which was very welcome. I slowed to my turbulence penetration speed then lost my G-Load.

Afterwards, its normal to think it lasted ages. In fact it was all over in a few seconds

Vintage optimist
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I had a bird strike on Singapore airlines once.
      She was an air hostess named Chin Chow Sung. I was watching as things got lined up on her landing strip whan an increase in pressure caused a loss of thrust.
      In the resulting turbulence her mask came down, worryingly, but then her mae west inflated, which was very welcome. I slowed to my turbulence penetration speed then lost my G-Load.

Afterwards, its normal to think it lasted ages. In fact it was all over in a few seconds

You are a very bad man!

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I'd forgotten about that.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          Flying back to Melbourne from Sydney... just about to touch the tarmac - sheep whizzing past looking almost close enough to touch (it wasn't Tullamarine - it was the small airstrip that the smaller JetStar planes use).
          Then suddenly it was full throttle and we blasted back up as if we were doing a very steep take-off.

It was just because the headwind suddenly changed to a tailwind just as we were about to touch down, but for those few seconds when the G force kicked in and the sudden engine roar woke everyone up, the first thing that was in my mind was that some other plane had pulled out of a taxiway in front of us.

The pilot took ages to explain. Would have been nice to get a heads up that nothing was broken sooner.
          Haven't been to Avalon Airport in about 15 years, is it still a couple of portacabins?
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Had a couple of incidents. I was on a BA flight at Manchester which had black smoke coming from an engine so we evacuated. The worst of it was that the slides are remarkably steep so you descend at a heck of a speed, and if you are unable to get out of the way of the person behind you you'll quickly find yourself under a pile of bodies. Lots of passengers got hurt and were taken away in ambulances. No fatalities though.

Flying to a project in Newport Beach, conditions were perfect - bright sunny day, cloudless sky. Suddenly we went into a steep climb sending the flight attendant hurtling towards the back of the plane. Can't remember what happened to her trolley.

The pilot explained afterwards that he'd been told to move to a higher altitude "immediately" and did just that.

Looking out of the window I saw perhaps half a dozen other planes dotted around us. It's perhaps easy to think ours is the only plane in the vicinity.

Oh, bizarre BA flight from Milan to London. BA had substituted this particular flight to another airline so the plane was ancient. As we touched down we saw flames pouring from both engines. The pilot explained this away as being perfectly normal on this type of aircraft. Hmm.

Comment

Any landing - I use the term loosely - at lukla. Come to that departure is a touch hair raising too.

Comment

Is now a bad time to mention I have recently qualified as a pilot?
                I'm happy to give anyone here a flight. Any takers? No? No really I am quite safe..

Comment

Any Ryanair flight.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Any Ryanair flight.
                    I'd rather walk than give a single penny of my hard-earned to O'Leary.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Once I was queuing to get my luggage checked at, I think, Princeton airport in the US. Or somewhere near Princeton anyway. I was with a Chinese guy I worked with and was coming home from a business trip.

Walking up and down the queue was a gigantic security guard who kept staring at people as he walked passed them. As he walked passed us the Chinese guy I was with turned to me and loudly said "So, have you still got the bomb?".
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X