• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terraform Mars ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I notice the article doesn't say a lot about how to go about terraforming, other than "we know how to do it".

If we were to do it, there's practical limits on the numbers of people we could send. Which means we'd need some kind of breeding programme - i.e. send lots of young women and a small number of lucky men. And we'd want to be selective about it; we don't want the descendants of riff raff colonising a new planet. Seems like a good oppurtunity to start a new race of genetically superior "super-men" and leave old Earth (or "Earth Classic") to the dregs.
    Colonisation is usually done with society's rejects - look at Australia and the US.

Comment

well the sooner we start to colonize other planets / solar systems the more people will not be on the Earth when the final blow comes.

it is again short sightedness trying to say that it will only be open to the select few or it will be 'forced' relocation of societies rejects

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        the more people will not be on the Earth when the final blow comes.
        When the final blow comes it won't matter where you are. It all comes down to kicking the can just a little bit further.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          When the final blow comes it won't matter where you are. It all comes down to kicking the can just a little bit further.
          whooosh

thats the point, that is. going right over your 'ead
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Interesting this - we are probably the first generation to really recognise and understand that human life could be wiped out by a natural event.

And yet that argument of yours as in do I care i hear a lot.

And so when our great great great (etc) grandchildren are watching the impending doom unfold and the end of human life is near they could quite rightly point the finger at us and call us a bunch of short sighted narrow minded tw@s for being so incredibly selfish and short termist to have doomed the human race to extinction.
            Do you think when our great great great (etc) grandchildren are watching the impending doom unfold it will be much consolation to them that people on another planet are safe?

Do you think the species has some sort of responsibility to perpetuate itself?

With our level of technology I think it would take something very serious indeed to make extinction a real possibility. e.g literally destroying the planet, not just making the outside world uninhabitable.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              whooosh

thats the point, that is. going right over your 'ead
              More likely an echo of it going right over your own head...

OPM supposes that we *should* work to ensure the survival of the species. As David Hume pointed out - you can't get an 'ought' from an 'is'.
              For that reason it's even questionable whether we should do so to protect future generations from the suffering of anhilation - but lets take that tack anyway...

All stars have a life-span, and even the material universe itself has a lifespan. So kicking the can down the road - arguably - only increases the scale of the eventual human destruction and suffering, as when that happens there will be far more human beings inhabiting whichever locale happens to be meeting it's end - and assuming we ever manage interstellar travel - everyone full stop.

So for that reason, the argument to ensure the survival of the species is largely aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Er, the only sensible way is to drop comets onto Mars from the Oort Cloud*.

And after the dust has settled, wait a couple of millennia.

Ask Threaded if it worked or not.

*It's a bit of a bugger if your aim is off mind.
                Threaded caused the problem in the first place. He went back in his time machine to make sure that Mars was nice and ready for us now, got a bit carried away with the bombardment and wrecked the place.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  More likely an echo of it going right over your own head...

OPM supposes that we *should* work to ensure the survival of the species. As David Hume pointed out - you can't get an 'ought' from an 'is'.
                  For that reason it's even questionable whether we should do so to protect future generations from the suffering of anhilation - but lets take that tack anyway...

All stars have a life-span, and even the material universe itself has a lifespan. So kicking the can down the road - arguably - only increases the scale of the eventual human destruction and suffering, as when that happens there will be far more human beings inhabiting whichever locale happens to be meeting it's end - and assuming we ever manage interstellar travel - everyone full stop.

So for that reason, the argument to ensure the survival of the species is largely aesthetic.
                  The linked to article was a Swiftian attempt to point out that spending vast amounts of money to achieve a result for future generations that was highly speculative is not only dumb but pointless. a bit like terraforming earth by decarbonisation
                  thats how I read it anyhow
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    The linked to article was a Swiftian attempt to point out that spending vast amounts of money to achieve a result for future generations that was highly speculative is not only dumb but pointless. a bit like terraforming earth by decarbonisation
                    thats how I read it anyhow
                    In that case you just quoted me out of context (which was in turn quoting OPM about preservation of the species & protecting future generations from the ball-ache of obliteration).

The way you read it would definitely be less insane too

Comment

If I go to Mars will I be safe when WWIII starts? Can I take my 700 tins of beans with me?
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X