• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cyclists become most indignant if you hit them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    No?

Why would I cycle around a major city when they have a pretty decent transport infrastructure?
    In London, at least, it's quicker, cheaper and faster than public transport.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      I will yell at cyclists as long as they cycle on the main road and there is a designated cycling path next to it.
      Why?

Originally posted by https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71
      Cycle Routes and Other Facilities.
      Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        We were still riding on the left hand side of the road, even when two abreast. At no point did any of us cross the centre line, it was not a single track road.

Keep trying.

How does 'keep to the left hand side of the ROAD' equate to 'Keep to the left of the CENTRE LINE'?

The rules do not even mention the centre line. You just made that up

But no one is fooled.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Why?
          Because he is a fu*kwit?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            I will yell at cyclists as long as they cycle on the main road and there is a designated cycling path next to it.
            Fair enough if the cycle path is fit for purpose.

Most aren't - a 2ft painted strip at the edge of the road where all the drains are, and with cars parked in, does not constitute a proper cycle path. Nor does a shared use pavement with give-ways every 50 metres for side roads.

Cambridge Cycling Campaign » Recommended cycle lane widths from published guidance

How often do you see a two metre cycle lane?

Stuff like this is not unusual - I'm pretty sure most regular suburban cyclists could point out a similarly useless path within a mile of their home.

Cycle Facility of the Month

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              How does 'keep to the left hand side of the ROAD' equate to 'Keep to the left of the CENTRE LINE'?

The rules do not even mention the centre line. You just made that up

But no one is fooled.
              To be fair least they moved into a single line to get rid of the car behind them.

Some cyclists where I live in their little groups of three don't. Then they give you dirty looks when you move into the oncoming lane to safely overtake them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Fair enough if the cycle path is fit for purpose.

Most aren't - a 2ft painted strip at the edge of the road where all the drains are, and with cars parked in, does not constitute a proper cycle path. Nor does a shared use pavement with give-ways every 50 metres for side roads.

Cambridge Cycling Campaign » Recommended cycle lane widths from published guidance

How often do you see a two metre cycle lane?

Stuff like this is not unusual - I'm pretty sure most regular suburban cyclists could point out a similarly useless path within a mile of their home.

Cycle Facility of the Month

Seriously though, cycle lanes are the worst of all worlds, making everything ambiguous, dangerous for pedestrians and have you ever seen how they deal with them at entry slip roads on dual carriageways? They guide the cyclist at an angle to the left crossing into the left of the merge lane!

In the picture you posted, did you not think there was a reason for putting the trees in the way - I think they did it on purpose

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  To be fair least they moved into a single line to get rid of the car behind them.

Some cyclists where I live in their little groups of three don't. Then they give you dirty looks when you move into the oncoming lane to safely overtake them.
                  Exactly! That's why I am a little cynical every time I hear a cyclist complain. Some of the things they get up to in London would actually be hilarious until you realise how many deaths there are annually.

On a similar note, we have a regular bunch of about 100 who think it's fun to demonstrate by riding the ring road 10 abreast from one roundabout to another and then back up to the next one IN RUSH HOUR EVENINGS! When they reach each roundabout, they circle it 20 times to stop motorists and other road users joining and do this for several hours, dispersing when the police arrive then reconvening at a prearranged point elsewhere.

Then they demand consideration and sympathy. Yeah, right!

Comment

thats the other thing

the majority of people using the road in car are doing so because they want to get from a to b as they have something to do at b

many cyclists just decide to don tight pants a stupid hat and then feel they can ride around doing what they want

Roads have a purpose they are not a leisure route.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                      Exactly! That's why I am a little cynical every time I hear a cyclist complain. Some of the things they get up to in London would actually be hilarious until you realise how many deaths there are annually.

On a similar note, we have a regular bunch of about 100 who think it's fun to demonstrate by riding the ring road 10 abreast from one roundabout to another and then back up to the next one IN RUSH HOUR EVENINGS! When they reach each roundabout, they circle it 20 times to stop motorists and other road users joining and do this for several hours, dispersing when the police arrive then reconvening at a prearranged point elsewhere.

Then they demand consideration and sympathy. Yeah, right!
                      The usual CUK extrapolation. A few cyclists are a pain so every cyclist deserves to get run over.

By your reasoning, a woman who is not pregnany one day and is pregnant the next day will have 270 babies after 9 months.

99% of car drivers are good. There is a 1% who give no consideration. They are a menance to other road users, and should not be on the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X