• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commonwealth Games, whats the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not being from the Uk or the commonwealth originally I have wondered as well what the purpose of this is. Zero turn out (except for a few school kids who were forced to stand there in the rain) at the baton relay through my town, this looks to me like a useless waste of money and time. If I were a top athlete, I probably wouldn't even want to compete as there will be very lucrative (moneywise) tournaments elsewhere in summertime

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      If I were a top athlete, ...
      Yes, but you aren't because you'd rather whinge than train.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

500 million for the games.

500,000 live in Glasgow.

If they offered everyone in the city a 2 grand if they completed 2 marathons in 2014 the city would go from one of the unhealthiest in the world to one of the healthiest. The savings from health care alone would probably be hundreds of millions per year.

Comment

Not being from the Uk or the commonwealth originally I have wondered as well what the purpose of this is.
          Before the UK joined the EU the chief countries the UK traded with where the former colonies. Part of being an agreeable trading partner is marketing and making other nations feel good - sport is good for this especially when countries can really wipe the floor with the English.

If I were a top athlete, I probably wouldn't even want to compete as there will be very lucrative (moneywise) tournaments elsewhere in summertime
          If you wanted to be picked for World Championships and Olympics in your sport by your national sporting body you wouldn't have a choice unless you had a medically confirmed injury/illness, were pregnant or recently had a baby.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            500 million for the games.

500,000 live in Glasgow.

If they offered everyone in the city a 2 grand if they completed 2 marathons in 2014 the city would go from one of the unhealthiest in the world to one of the healthiest. The savings from health care alone would probably be hundreds of millions per year.
            Much cheaper to convince immigrants that Glasgow is the place to go and ensuring they don't pick up the local eating and drinking habits.

I wonder how many applications for asylum will be received after the games and how many participants go missing.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Liked the old name better: British Empire Games!

Comment

Anyway, in a parent to child manner "the thing had been bought and paid for so you can quit your complaining and learn to like it"

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  He's retarded
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I don't know what the fuss is all about. if the commonwealth games is to be a focus of our guilt over our colonial past then say so - it is not how the nations taking part in the games see it. It is really fantastic that a group of countries with something in common in their history should feel a desire to compete with each other at sport. Why should all sport be just about who is best in the world? The commonwealth games are a fantastic staging point for athletes to test their skills in an International environment.

More importantly the skills and entertainment on display will bring enjoyment to many millions of people and give youngsters the drive and aspiration to take part in sport. Furthermore it gives the former British colonies to show that they are every bit as good if not better at sport than their former colonial masters.

unfortunately it looks like being the Australians that will be shoving it down our throats the most
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      I don't know what the fuss is all about. if the commonwealth games is to be a focus of our guilt over our colonial past then say so - it is not how the nations taking part in the games see it. It is really fantastic that a group of countries with something in common in their history should feel a desire to compete with each other at sport. Why should all sport be just about who is best in the world? The commonwealth games are a fantastic staging point for athletes to test their skills in an International environment.

More importantly the skills and entertainment on display will bring enjoyment to many millions of people and give youngsters the drive and aspiration to take part in sport. Furthermore it gives the former British colonies to show that they are every bit as good if not better at sport than their former colonial masters.

unfortunately it looks like being the Australians that will be shoving it down our throats the most
                      Most of that I agree with although the section italicised needs a bit of thinking about (primarily for those in the UK, Johnny Commonwealth will of course lap it up), how has the Olympic legacy got on?
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X