• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commonwealth Games, whats the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

unfortunately it looks like being the Australians that will be shoving it down our throats the most
    Slogan for the "No" camp after the games - "Together we can beat Australia"

Well we did in the Olympics.......
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How many asylum seekers has it landed us with yet?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        How many asylum seekers has it landed us with yet?
        Bit to early for them to run off.

They normally do their events first then disappear.

Though if none of them disappear well..........

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Not being from the Uk or the commonwealth originally I have wondered as well what the purpose of this is. Zero turn out (except for a few school kids who were forced to stand there in the rain) at the baton relay through my town, this looks to me like a useless waste of money and time. If I were a top athlete, I probably wouldn't even want to compete as there will be very lucrative (moneywise) tournaments elsewhere in summertime

If you dont like it you could always p**s off back to where you came from.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If you dont like it you could always p**s off back to where you came from.
            Not heard that racist phrase for ages, holy sheeit!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              Not heard that racist phrase for ages, holy sheeit!!!!
              explain why it is racist
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

explain why it is racist
                :nazi:

Comment

explain why it is racist
                  I don't think it's racist, but it's unnecessary; people from whatever background or walk of life have the freedom to express their opinions or ask why some event is happening; the fact that someone comes from another country doesn't invalidate his opinions.

Might be more helpful to just explain the significance of the commonwealth and the meaning of the games.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    I don't think it's racist, but it's unnecessary; people from whatever background or walk of life have the freedom to express their opinions or ask why some event is happening; the fact that someone comes from another country doesn't invalidate his opinions.

Might be more helpful to just explain the significance of the commonwealth and the meaning of the games.
                    He made his criticism on the basis that he was from a different country and culture thus because of this could not understand what the fuss was all about. My retort was that if he was judging the existence of the commonwealth games on this basis then perhaps he might like to return to where he came from if he finds it difficult to cope with.
                    Had he not mentioned that he came from outside of the commonwealth and merely criticised the commonwealth on the merits of its purpose then fine. The fact that he had to define his criticism according to his own race makes him fair game for my comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Alternatively if he has chosen to live here then maybe he might like to go to the library and find out for himself.

Comment

Working...
                      X