• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills shortage in IT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That report is full of interesting questions.... just think someone got paid to write it.

How are we teaching students in a way that inspires and prepares them for careers in the future workforce in occupations that may not yet exist, rather than the current ones
    Fantastic! How can we teach our kids to do jobs that don't even exist yet? I am almost inspired to try and answer it.

And it also links to this report : Which is far to clever for me to understand.

But does have a table showing the risk of a job being off-shored.

So now we know what to work as! "Recreational Therapists" only have a probability of 0.0028 of being off-shored. Whereas an "Insurance Underwriter" has a 0.99 chance of being off-shored!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      So you liked my 2006 Wail link of a Skills shortage in IT.

Strange that there is still a shortage of graduates EU wide with skills in IT or maybe people just don't like Cardiff.....
      There is no shortage of graduates in IT Europe wide. There is a shortage of people smart enough to find them. Unfortunately the role of the latter has fallen into the hands of failed recruitment consultants. these people have brought with them all their sh*t recruitment skills , lack of personal networks and all the nasty habits of never taking calls from candidates and never giving feedback.
      their view is that if they cant fill a job no one will. If someone else is allowed to fill a role then it undermines their control of the recruitment process.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I thought this was meant to fix it: http://yearofcode.org/
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Just had a look at Mr Powell's previous on companycheck.

He's been a busy boy.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
            It's that time of the year again when a business owner sticks their neck out and complains earnestly and oh so reasonably that there is a skills shortage in IT in the UK.

He has a pool of around 450 million people to recruit from, a seemingly endless (in my experience) supply of non-EU nationals left over from the days of Tier 1 and a country with many of the best universities in the world.

And yet, as a nation we need to do more to help his tulipty little white-label online shop business.

Of course, we should say nothing of the fact that he chose to start his company, Eysys, selling white-label online shopfronts in 2012, around ten years after that particular golden market opportunity had bolted.

The sense of entitlement is strong in this one...

BBC News - Simon Powell of Eysys on recruitment problems
            I wonder how many hits their website has had since that article, which was bollocks BTB, came out and how many inquiries he's had? Nothing like free advertising
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              T

Fantastic! How can we teach our kids to do jobs that don't even exist yet? I am almost inspired to try and answer it.
              We know the answer to that for IT and the old folks without computer qualifications prove it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I wonder how many hits their website has had since that article, which was bollocks BTB, came out and how many inquiries he's had? Nothing like free advertising
                The journalist was probably too thick to understand what he was moaning about.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  There is no shortage of graduates in IT Europe wide. There is a shortage of people smart enough to find them. Unfortunately the role of the latter has fallen into the hands of failed recruitment consultants. these people have brought with them all their sh*t recruitment skills , lack of personal networks and all the nasty habits of never taking calls from candidates and never giving feedback.
                  their view is that if they cant fill a job no one will. If someone else is allowed to fill a role then it undermines their control of the recruitment process.
                  Reminds me of estate agents.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Reminds me of estate agents.
                    Beat me to it.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

"all of them other people with double glazing, they give double glazing a bad name, but my double glazing is the best"

Comment

Working...
                      X