• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where are all the decent C++ contracts roles gone??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Go will be consigned to the Google dustbin alongside all the other stuff they launch and then get bored of. And Python has been "the next big thing" for a decade while failing to make serious inroads - it seems JavaScript is eating Python's niche (though why on earth anyone wants to use JS I cannot imagine)

For low-level stuff C++ is still best. But there is less and less low level stuff needed.
    +1, C/C++ is going nowhere, same with Java/C#, everything else is niche (I remember when Ruby was the next big thing and was going to kill off Java, then Groovy was going to kill Java, the latest wannabe Java killer is Scala, Java is still here and Java 8 has made it better). Server side JavaScript is the next big(false) hope. I use C and Java most of the time with a sprinkling of niche languages.

Comment

I have had to resort to a permie position in C++ due to family reasons but they still use C++ contractors here. Also when I was looking I was contacted about a £600pd C++ gig in London and another one at £550pd. There are C++ gigs around if you have an investment banking background. If you don't then maybe not.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I have had to resort to a permie position in C++ due to family reasons but they still use C++ contractors here. Also when I was looking I was contacted about a £600pd C++ gig in London and another one at £550pd. There are C++ gigs around if you have an investment banking background. If you don't then maybe not.
        Plenty of defence work in C and C++ No Bobs allowed

Comment

I had an email for a C++ job this morning. London and £250pd. Hmmm.

Still lots of people doing C++ (PermieCo wouldn't entertain the idea of using C# or Java). Just perhaps not the people that traditionally recklessly hired lots of contractors on OTT rates (i.e. banks).
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Java is for girls.
            Python is for mentalists that like to count the number of spaces used for an indent.
            Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
            If you use a decent text editor it does the indentation for you, as any fule knows
            Except that a line of code might have several different behaviours depending on the indentation used, all syntactically legal and even the most decent editor is at a loss to help with that. I'm not aware of any other language that suffers this 'feature'.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Except that a line of code might have several different behaviours depending on the indentation used, all syntactically legal and even the most decent editor is at a loss to help with that. I'm not aware of any other language that suffers this 'feature'.
              Whitespace (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                C# is very hard unless you tune a half step up or use a capo or barre it.
                C# minor is a lovely key for the piano. Think Moonlight Sonata or the magnificent Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No.2

..... any way - what's wrong with VB?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  WHS

IMHO, the python indentation thing is a massively retrograde step, harking back to punched cards and FORTRAN and COBOL, and completely wrecks what would otherwise be a pretty neat and consistent language.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You could always try freelancer.com and do someones C++ Bubble Sort homework for them for ten dollar love you long time.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      You could always try freelancer.com and do someones C++ Bubble Sort homework for them for ten dollar love you long time.

qh

Comment

Working...
                      X