• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Malaysian Airlines 777 Crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember this

Ukraine admits missile may have downed Russian plane | World news | theguardian.com
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      That was not the Ukraine. That was Luton.
      Dunstable
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Nightmare, this could cause major tensions in the geopolitical theatre.
        Nah.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Oh, and there are reports that a rebel leader tweeted that they'd shot down a plane, which he apparently believed to be a Ukrainian military transport, only to delete the tweet when it was discovered it was a civilian airliner.
          Just don't understand how people could be that stupid
          I am depressed
          a) because somebody could do this and
          b) because they expect me to believe this 'it was a mistake' crap.
          F***ers
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Interesting given that it happened in the Black Sea region. The people in control of that region now: the Russian-backed rebels. The people in control then: the Russian-backed government that was ousted by the current government of Ukraine.

From Wikipedia:

Russian officials initially dismissed the American claim as "unworthy of attention," and Russian President Vladimir Putin told the press the next day that "the weapons used in those exercises had such characteristics that make it impossible for them to reach the air corridor through which the plane was moving."...

However, Ukrainian officials later admitted that it was indeed their military that shot down the airliner.

So yes, Russian-backed forces in the Ukraine do indeed have form for shooting down airliners.

Comment

The Ukranian rebels have been shooting down all sorts of stuff, even a fighter last week. They secured the wreckage, picked through it and thought 'civilian. WTF is that doing flying within a 100 miles of a warzone ? cretinski'

Mind you, the Malaysians cant divert too far from the regular flight paths in case the passengers realise they are off course and storm the flight deck
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                The Ukranian rebels have been shooting down all sorts of stuff, even a fighter last week. They secured the wreckage, picked through it and thought 'civilian. WTF is that doing flying within a 100 miles of a warzone ? cretinski'

Mind you, the Malaysians cant divert too far from the regular flight paths in case the passengers realise they are off course and storm the flight deck
                Apparently they had warned off flights from airspace up to 32,000 feet. The airliner in this case was at 33,000 feet. So even by their own claims for controlled airspace it wasn't in the wrong place.

I notice that now all flights, including Aeroflot (who doubtless have the ear of somebody with a bit of clout with the "rebels"), are carefully avoiding Eastern Ukraine entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Apparently they had warned off flights from airspace up to 32,000 feet. The airliner in this case was at 33,000 feet. So even by their own claims for controlled airspace it wasn't in the wrong place.
                  These guys are likely to be amateurs, gung ho, murderous. Ill trained, desperate for glory and 'street cred', vying for rank and position.
                  Whats a thousand feet between friends ? pass me the vodka tovarisch
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Comment

Here's a NYT report from the scene (trigger warning and all that): http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/wo...bris.html?_r=0

Comment

Working...
                      X