• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment delay as agency cannot charge client due to know events

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got an email from an agency I used to work until 31 March saying that:

Payment delay

We are extremely sorry to inform you of a necessary delay in our payments to you for a short period.

The cause is due to a knock-on effect of our customers delaying payment to us during the current crisis.

We are actively pursuing additional funding via the Government schemes and hope very much that this situation is only temporary.

We will not be able to process your payment due this Friday 17th, or next Friday 24th. We do however anticipate being able to resume these payments on a weekly basis after this to ensure your balance is cleared progressively in May.

Our sincerest apologies for having to implement this delay but it is due to the exceptional circumstances we are all experiencing.
    Just to add - they are paying me weekly but each week payment comes with a 1-month delay.
    I am wondering what are my options as I have a strong feeling it won't be just two weeks delay but will last longer than that? Is any way how I can demand and enforce payments from the recruiters if things go wrong?

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
    Just got an email from an agency I used to work until 31 March saying that:

Just to add - they are paying me weekly but each week payment comes with a 1-month delay.
    I am wondering what are my options as I have a strong feeling it won't be just two weeks delay but will last longer than that? Is any way how I can demand and enforce payments from the recruiters if things go wrong?
    Invoice. Call Safe Collections.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Invoice. Call Safe Collections.
      That was my assumption asking for some kind of debt collecting scheme.

Correct me if I am wrong: that should be put solely against the recruitment agency as I have financial relationship with them. And because of that the fact that they haven't received payments from end client doesn't matter, as soon as the client approved my timesheets. If the client does not pay them, they should still pay me from their money in time, and chase client on their own.

Comment

That was my assumption asking for some kind of debt collecting scheme.

Correct me if I am wrong: that should be put solely against the recruitment agency as I have financial relationship with them. And because of that the fact that they haven't received payments from end client doesn't matter, as soon as the client approved my timesheets. If the client does not pay them, they should still pay me from their money in time, and chase client on their own.
        What does your contract say??

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          What does your contract say??

This. If they're in breach, it could be that they're struggling for cash themselves. Get in first and get your money. Their problems should not be yours if there's a contract in place that states otherwise.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If the payments have been prompt to this point, I wouldn't jump into debt collection for 1-2 weeks of payment delay that hasn't even occurred yet.

If the agency isn't getting paid form the end clients and have cash flow problems it's understandable in the current climate. Be glad that you are even in a contract unlike many others and carry on invoicing. If the agency fails their promise of only 2 weeks delay, then think about taking actions.

Best option would be to discuss it with ClientCo and warn them you might have to stop providing services if the payment is delayed too much.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Be glad that you are even in a contract unlike many others and carry on invoicing.
              But I am not!

The contract ended last days of March, they are normally paying each week with a month delay from the week end, but now are delaying this even longer.

Comment

But I am not!

The contract ended last days of March, they are normally paying each week with a month delay from the week end, but now are delaying this even longer.
                Join ipse+ membership pronto and get insurance in place before they go bust

Comment

But I am not!

No worries about your contract getting cut then.

What does your contract say with respect to payment terms?
                  Have all your unpaid timesheets been signed?
                  Have all your unpaid invoices been submitted on time with respect to the payment schedule?

Answer those three please - the thread is dead in the water without answers to them.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Have all your unpaid timesheets been signed?
                    Have all your unpaid invoices been submitted on time with respect to the payment schedule?

Answer those three please - the thread is dead in the water without answers to them.
                    Not really though is it?
                    The agency are essentially saying that where all those conditions you mention above have been met, and where the payments were due on 17th & 24th, they're not going to pay on those dates.
                    I suppose the OP has the choice of either waiting to see if they resume payments later as promised, or turning the screws now.
                    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                    X