• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Payment delay as agency cannot charge client due to know events"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
    Nope. Week ending 17 March is to be paid on 17 April (a month delay!) as per their schedule, but now since they cannot charge the client they want to delay it several more weeks. Which I doubt they pay as claimed, but delay even more
    Thanks - I was trying to establish the actual schedule versus the norm. For example some agencies have "paid when paid" in their conditions. If that's in their contract with you, you've got a problem. If that's not in your conditions, start of with a nice, sympathetic email.

"While I appreciate your situation, hopefully you can understand that I am now out of contract and therefore have no other source of income. As such, I cannot accept a delay on the payment of my outstanding invoice(s) and look forward to you remedying the situation as soon as possible. If you cannot pay me by the end of the week I will unfortunately have to chase the payment more formally."

Then have a read through this article about the Dunning Letter.

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    OK, so they are actually paying early as a norm, is that correct?
    Nope. Week ending 17 March is to be paid on 17 April (a month delay!) as per their schedule, but now since they cannot charge the client they want to delay it several more weeks. Which I doubt they pay as claimed, but delay even more

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Paying with a 1-month delay, not a contract but there's a clause in the schedule, and the did such all the times. No probs with this exact point

As I said, I do generously accept even the mentioned delay for a few more weeks. The worry is that it will be even more delayed if paid at all. All I was just asking how I could enforce payments in the worst case
    OK, so they are actually paying early as a norm, is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    3) An invoice raised and delivered to the client.
    In this context, it means not to the client, but to my representing agency. Correct?

Any specific proofs for "delivered" apart from sent from my LTD operating gmail account?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Payment delay as agency cannot charge client due to know events

Not the actual invoice, but of course every approval by the client triggers an email with confirmation to me. Every single period worked out was approved, I get an email for each of them
    Then no invoice is raised, therefore no money is owed.
    You have evidence of a signed timesheet which is good.
    You probably want to raise your own invoice and get it to them.

Until you’ve got the three pillars of money owed you can’t do much.
    They are...
    1) agreement to pay a sum for goods or services. This can be a PO but for contractors is the contract and schedule.
    2) Proof of delivery. In this case a signed timesheet.
    3) An invoice raised and delivered to the client.

Pretty basic stuff. I’m amazed how many people run businesses without knowing this.

Once you have all three, and the payment is late you then start dunning. Late payment without an invoice is not late.

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Self billing is ok to a point. Have you received your copy of the invoices for all periods submitted?
    If you’ve not been provided your copy then the invoices haven’t been ‘submitted’ and you are not owed the money.
    Not the actual invoice, but of course every approval by the client triggers an email with confirmation to me. Every single period worked out was approved, I get an email for each of them

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Paying with a 1-month delay, not a contract but there's a clause in the schedule, and the did such all the times. No probs with this exact point

yes

No need to submit as they operate online self-billing, timesheetz.net - several agencies use them. I submit all the days worked out, then the client goes there and confirms electronically. All has been done and approved

As I said, I do generously accept even the mentioned delay for a few more weeks. The worry is that it will be even more delayed if paid at all. All I was just asking how I could enforce payments in the worst case
    Self billing is ok to a point. Have you received your copy of the invoices for all periods submitted?
    If you’ve not been provided your copy then the invoices haven’t been ‘submitted’ and you are not owed the money.

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    No worries about your contract getting cut then.
    What does your contract say with respect to payment terms?

Have all your unpaid timesheets been signed?
    yes

Have all your unpaid invoices been submitted on time with respect to the payment schedule
    No need to submit as they operate online self-billing, timesheetz.net - several agencies use them. I submit all the days worked out, then the client goes there and confirms electronically. All has been done and approved

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Yes I see what you're saying. I suppose the overarching point is, as always, what does the contract say!

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    It is. Lots of agencies have a paid when paid clause but their working practice is that you're paid weekly and they factor it. If the OP has met all contractual clauses then they can pursue. If the agency was simply being nice before that then there's nothing to legally pursue.
    Yes I see what you're saying. I suppose the overarching point is, as always, what does the contract say!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Not really though is it?
    The agency are essentially saying that where all those conditions you mention above have been met, and where the payments were due on 17th & 24th, they're not going to pay on those dates.
    I suppose the OP has the choice of either waiting to see if they resume payments later as promised, or turning the screws now.
    It is. Lots of agencies have a paid when paid clause but their working practice is that you're paid weekly and they factor it. If the OP has met all contractual clauses then they can pursue. If the agency was simply being nice before that then there's nothing to legally pursue.

Leave a comment:

• KinooOrKinog
    replied
    Have all your unpaid invoices been submitted on time with respect to the payment schedule?

Answer those three please - the thread is dead in the water without answers to them.
    Not really though is it?
    The agency are essentially saying that where all those conditions you mention above have been met, and where the payments were due on 17th & 24th, they're not going to pay on those dates.
    I suppose the OP has the choice of either waiting to see if they resume payments later as promised, or turning the screws now.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    But I am not!

The contract ended last days of March, they are normally paying each week with a month delay from the week end, but now are delaying this even longer.
    No worries about your contract getting cut then.

What does your contract say with respect to payment terms?
    Have all your unpaid invoices been submitted on time with respect to the payment schedule?

Answer those three please - the thread is dead in the water without answers to them.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Payment delay as agency cannot charge client due to know events

But I am not!

The contract ended last days of March, they are normally paying each week with a month delay from the week end, but now are delaying this even longer.
    Join ipse+ membership pronto and get insurance in place before they go bust

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• MisterLysenkiy
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Be glad that you are even in a contract unlike many others and carry on invoicing.
    But I am not!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X