• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I quit my job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    When I left my permie job to go contracting I was on 4 weeks notice. However I said to agent I could probably get it down to 2 weeks (but not 100% sure). Then once I had been offered I went to permie directors of permie co (small startup) and told them I was going contracting but they wanted me to start in 2 weeks. Luckily the directors where both contractors before they started the company so although they were annoyed they let me go.

Failing that just walk or phone in sick for 2 weeks.
    This

You might find you can negotiate the notice period downwards. I had a 3-month notice period on my last permie role. I went to my then boss and said that I'd been made an offer I couldn't turn down and was there any chance, given my work record and the value I'd brought to the company (my words), that I could work a month's notice.
    Boss wasn't happy about me leaving but was reasonable enough not to be a kn0b about it and agreed to 4-weeks notice.

If you don't ask, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
      This

You might find you can negotiate the notice period downwards. I had a 3-month notice period on my last permie role. I went to my then boss and said that I'd been made an offer I couldn't turn down and was there any chance, given my work record and the value I'd brought to the company (my words), that I could work a month's notice.
      Boss wasn't happy about me leaving but was reasonable enough not to be a kn0b about it and agreed to 4-weeks notice.

If you don't ask, etc...
      I had a three month notice period, and negotiated it down to a day before starting contracting. However, the circumstances were unusual.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        I had a three month notice period, and negotiated it down to a day before starting contracting. However, the circumstances were unusual.
        Wow can I hire you to negotiate my rate!

Comment

Yes.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

To 1.1% of the original offer?

Comment

I saw a contract and managed to get them to wait 4 weeks before starting so handed my notice in with zero savings and no safety net. The contract was great, but I happened to sign up with Prosperity4 as my umbrella. Those scumbags retained the bulk of my earnings for 3 months as I was wet behind the ears and didn't understand the contract properly. Bank maxxed, credit cards maxxed and had to borrow £1k off a friend just to keep working. I was literally a week away from being unable to afford digs and travel to the well-paid contract I had been on for 3 months.

Moral: Read the contract thoroughly, ask for advice here on anything you're not sure of.
              Last edited by BillHicksRIP; 3 July 2014, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by steve80 View Post
                Currently in a perm role very frustrated due to being under paid. But I do like we're I work it's just the money.

I've always wanted to go contracting (not just for the money)

Problem I have is making the transition into a contract when I have a notice period. I'm called a lot from agencies so my CV must be good.

Should I just quit or seal a contract first ? Hard question I know and it's my decision ultimately but I really need some guidance

Ste
                Either grow a pair and have trust in your abilities or stay permie.
                I dicked about for ages, then finally decided to go for it.
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

WHS.

I just did it. Left my job without a contract to go to and no money saved. I wouldn't recommend it, but I survived. Credit cards go a long way.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

got to be in it to win it

as the title says "got to be in it to win it"

i've always been one to take a few risks, but not un-calculated ones.

setup a spreadsheet now costs of home, and guess living away prices based on search engines results
                    get average for your area of expertise.

work out your minimum, know your walk away point.
                    Less than X days per month if daily rate = not worth it

i was also brought up to always look into things so you can never have any regrets later in life with the what if's, could i of really done that....etc

so in my last perm job things were going against me, so signed on had few interviews
                    nothing happened, for a while got some training whilst waiting
                    5 /6 mths of improving myself as a commodity, networking, applying for jobs.

then BOOM well paid contract in Asia paying nice money, paid off all CC's, car loans, family had 13weeks in the sunshine, paid for mum and dad to fly out to see me for 4 weeks.

admittedly i could of saved this money, but i would not of survived that long without the family coming out.

came back at end of contract, applied like mad for anything so i didn't slip back into debt, 5mths later again making use of my time, updated any health and safety, looked into some and did some new qualifications.

6mth contract in London, away from the family again but home at weekends.

make sure whatever you decide you,

A: have no regrets - whichever way you go
                    B: don't just look at the money, it's the WHOLE package - remember most contracts are normally away from home or involve traveling
                    C: enjoy it
                    D: priorities what you want out of it - change of direction, travel, clear debts, save for house ............

all goes back to what others have said, PLAN PLAN PLAN

Comment

Echoing some comments above, it is a calculated risk to leave permiedom but only the OP can truly know their balance of risk v potential rewards.

I left a high paying perm role last year with nothing to go to but was confident in a) my abilities and experience, b) the market at the time and c) had plenty of savings to fall back on. I had wanted to go contracting on two other occasions in the preceding few years but both times a perm job popped up. I'm glad I made the move because at least I've tried it now and have no regrets.

Comment

Working...
                      X