• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays Wealth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays Wealth

Hi all,
    Does anyone here work for Barclays? How is the work culture like?

Which building , which department, what team. Which manager.. and so on. It varies. Be prepared for a 10% rate cut out of the blue and the possibility of being walked off site any time they fancy.

Barclays carry ons are discussed at length on here. Try searching.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

PM me

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Which building , which department, what team. Which manager.. and so on. It varies. Be prepared for a 10% rate cut out of the blue and the possibility of being walked off site any time they fancy.
        None of which is different to any other client, particularly.

Comment

You're joking right?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You're joking right?
            Who? Me? Well... yes and no. I'd be loathed to mention the name of my current client in a public forum, but let's just say it's relevant to the conversation It's also worth mentioning that I have several years experience in another part of my current client's business as a permie several years back.

But there's always the risk of "here's a shiny new contract with a shiny new rate..." or "oops, our business priorities have changed, sorry". That (at least the latter) is part of "the game", no?

So what specifically about Barclays is worse than other places?

Comment

They are well known for introducing regular sweeping 10% cuts and have at least once that I know of walked every single contractor off site to make numbers meet.

They don't half abuse their contractors.

Barclays has rolled out another 10% rate cut for all contractors in the UK and U.S. - eFinancialCareers

This is the second time that Barclays has implemented a pay cut for its contractors in 12 months, after curtailing rates by up to 10% for temporary IT staff in February 2013. Again, the new rates are non-negotiable and contractors can either accept them or move on.
              And that is just 2013/14. I had a the about 7 years ago and there have been others since.

Roger Sinclair from Ergos is tracking these. Let me see if I can find it.

EDIT : Here you go...

http://www.egos.co.uk/contract-breakers.htm

60 Entries and 8 of them are Barclays.....

So more or less the same as everyone else is just utter bollocks.

Comment

I am currently relevant also

I am seeing a mix like anywhere else:
                - overhang from the last cut of upset contractors that did not leave but are digging their heels in
                - 2+ year contractors trying to leave but having more cash thrown at them to stay
                - IT people in and out like a revolving door due to planning or lack of
                - huge resource gap in the reg space
                (I have been reading some pretty bad CVs this week, trying to get people in)
                - permie redundancies later this week

This is pretty much everywhere these days, as another poster said yesterday; depends where you land and how good you are...

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
                  So what specifically about Barclays is worse than other places?
                  Surely everyone knows the answer to this!

Comment

Barclays Capital Feb-09 10%
                    Barclays Capital – again! 02/12/2011 10% ‘This happened a few years back as well, again just before Christmas … there was also a requirement at BarCap to take an additional 10 working days off before Christmas’
                    Barclays Capital – again! Jul-12 10 days enforced leave (excuse: Olympics) ‘There was also a very short notice (knee-jerk) enforced 10 day’s leave for the London Olympics that raised my ire. After months of telling us to be prepared and plan ahead for travel issues they suddenly leaped on the opportunity presented by the Olympics to save money.’
                    Barclays Capital – again! Dec-12 Enforced 10 days ‘break’
                    Barclays Capital– again! Mar-13 10% 'Accept it or this serves as notice of termination' (Some exceptions rumoured)
                    Barclays Capital – again! Dec-13 Enforced 10 days ‘break’
                    Barclays Capital– again! Apr-14 10% 'Accept it or this serves as notice of termination' (no exceptions known to date)
                    Barclays Mar-14 10% ‘received a very un-professional email badly worded, spelling mistakes and using several different fonts and size of typeface’

Comment

Working...
                    X