• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment consultant / direct contact issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Bit of a grey area though maybe. Whats to stop a client getting an agency to send them a wad of CVs or even doing some interviews and telling porkies they need someone now but in reality need someone in a months time.

Then tell the agency its all been canned. Month later contact people directly.

I guess the agency deserve some sort of protection but how far do you take it? Agree with your 1st post though, normally they;d disappear never to be seen again - in this case it seems they're sniffing around because they can smell possible action.
    The client normally has to wait 6 months to a year. It depends on the contract they negotiated with the agency.

If a client contacted me after 6 months for a role directly wouldn't bother me. If they contacted me earlier I would be worried only because if they are willing to screw an agency they would probably be willing to screw the contractor over paying invoices.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The client normally has to wait 6 months to a year. It depends on the contract they negotiated with the agency.
      Not if you were opted into the agency regulations they don't.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Not if you were opted into the agency regulations they don't.
        Then you find yourself in the lovely arguments of what counts as a valid opt-out with the agency causing lots of trouble to get you dropped. Remember agencies don't see it the same way we do and the opt-out itself hasn't been tested in the courts to set case law. (Rory will come along and disagree.)

Also depending on the area of the country you live in it may not be a good idea to p*ss an agency off if you want local work in the near future.

Obviously if you are in London and the SE you can p*ss agencies off as there are loads of them but if you live in particular areas of the country there tends to be a couple of agencies with most of the contracts.

The pre-agreements can be be for any type of work for 6 months, or more specifically for a particular named role. The latter are easier to wiggle around but you won't know what is agreed until the client tells you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Then you find yourself in the lovely arguments of what counts as a valid opt-out with the agency causing lots of trouble to get you dropped.
          The client would be having the argument, since it would be them having to show that they hadn't broken any agreement with the agency.

Even without mentioning the opt out status (and remembering that agents imply that you can opt out at any stage before you start), the client will still have an argument with the agency - throwing opt in status into the argument can only help the client in their argument.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
            Most agency terms (ours certainly do) with clients will be catch all for a period of time and not restricted by role.
            Can you tell us what the typical time limit is?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I'd feel a moral obligation to go via the agent. But I'm a great big softy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Can you tell us what the typical time limit is?
                Ours is 12 months.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  Ours is 12 months.
                  And how do you enforce that pray tell (ignoring the legality for the moment). I apply for a role via your agency in January say and either don't get it or turn down the offer. I apply for another role at the same client via a different agency in December, the client either has to pay you a fee if they want to hire me or reject me . I would think you would have a tough time enforcing that 12 month restriction in any court never mind even working out that that has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                    And how do you enforce that pray tell (ignoring the legality for the moment). I apply for a role via your agency in January say and either don't get it or turn down the offer. I apply for another role at the same client via a different agency in December, the client either has to pay you a fee if they want to hire me or reject me . I would think you would have a tough time enforcing that 12 month restriction in any court never mind even working out that that has happened.
                    End clients, particularly the larger, better-known companies, usually will avoid any breach of contract terms as a matter of general policy....... their legal/HR departments do not want the hassle. Often that works in favour of the contractor such as giving 4 weeks' notice when the work has already dried up and because of MOO they can say no work, no pay.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                      You are of course entitled to your [incorrect] opinion. Luckily I have the benefit of running the global department that deals with these issues for us and have a different view.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X