• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel for Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel for Business

I consider myself pretty much expert on Excel - not just using formula, but how to set up a spreadsheet efficiently and also easy to follow for when it's left in uncapable bau hands.

I have seen courses on Groupon and the like for 'Excel for Business' qualifications, which are only about £40 and I've considered doing it. I don't think it'll teach me much (although there's still plenty to learn, I'm sure), but I wonder if there's any point.

It's always good to have a piece of paper to say "I can do...", but there seems to be a trend over the past few years of business trying to get away from Excel reporting (see last 3 contracts), which in theory is a good idea, but in practice ends up replicating what was done in Excel anyway.

I think many people in business, particularly banking, want to get away from Excel, because they don't know how to use it and the majority of the limitations that they encounter are down to the ineptitude of the user, rather than a genuine constraint of the tool.

So, whilst sticking up for poor old MS Excel, my real question is whether there's a need for the above 'qualification' and if you think it would be £40 well spent?

You're an IT contractor, working in banking, presumably earning anywhere between £400 and £800 (maybe more!) and you are swithering over £40??

Every penny and all that, but come on!

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
      I consider myself pretty much expert on Excel - not just using formula, but how to set up a spreadsheet efficiently and also easy to follow for when it's left in uncapable bau hands.

I have seen courses on Groupon and the like for 'Excel for Business' qualifications, which are only about £40 and I've considered doing it. I don't think it'll teach me much (although there's still plenty to learn, I'm sure), but I wonder if there's any point.

It's always good to have a piece of paper to say "I can do...", but there seems to be a trend over the past few years of business trying to get away from Excel reporting (see last 3 contracts), which in theory is a good idea, but in practice ends up replicating what was done in Excel anyway.

I think many people in business, particularly banking, want to get away from Excel, because they don't know how to use it and the majority of the limitations that they encounter are down to the ineptitude of the user, rather than a genuine constraint of the tool.

So, whilst sticking up for poor old MS Excel, my real question is whether there's a need for the above 'qualification' and if you think it would be £40 well spent?
      If the course covers formulae – then no, it’s not worth it. Being titled ‘Excel for Business’ it might touch on VBA, dashboard design, fetching data from web, SQL, etc – which, if outside your current skill-set would be worthwhile; especially for £40. Knowing how to use formulae and claiming to be an expert in excel is like knowing how to type and claiming to be an expert in word – there’s a lot than can be learned to take your knowledge and level of expertise to the next level.

Comment

Spend £18 for a month of Pluralsight and do their Excel courses

Comment

This is to certify that . JRCT is quite good at spreadsheets and stuff.

In fact, . JRCT is good at most computery stuff.

Just print this post and cut this line off the bottom of the page. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Spend £18 for a month of Pluralsight and do their Excel courses
            Ooh, that look sgood. I'll be looking at that in more detail, this evening.

Comment

Working...
            X