• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extend or go dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete the contract and then move on. You are a business and so are they.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
      Guess what, here's an early alarm bell, I'm the only one who takes notes at meetings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Why is that an alarm bell? I rarely take notes at meetings. Productive meetings should be concise and about knowledge transfer for which notes shouldn't always be necessary, unless you're capturing highly detailed technical information.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
        Why is that an alarm bell? I rarely take notes at meetings. Productive meetings should be concise and about knowledge transfer for which notes shouldn't always be necessary, unless you're capturing highly detailed technical information.
        Surely a meeting should result in actions, and you need to note what actions have been assigned to you to ensure that they get done.

One stupid thing about stand-ups is that while standing up shortens the meeting it also means people don't record what is going on...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

hmm, I'm just about to jump from a "certain" contract over the next 12 months to a short term 3 monther for a number of reasons:
          1. Very Poor Leadership, i.e. none, no idea of where they want to be in 3-5 years time.
          2. No IT Strategy, i.e. installing ms office 2014 is not a strategy.........
          3. No investment in Permies (as far as I can see), this leads to myopic thinking and poor organizational capability for me to pass on my knowledge and skills
          4. zero stakeholder comms and capability, they consistently get it wrong, and given the level of our stakeholders and the interest of Media (they too are a stakeholder) this can be embarrassing....
            there is so much more,
          Why should you give a rat's arse about any of these? Seriously, what's it to you where they are in 5 years time? Were you still hoping to be working for them? Permie investment? WTF?!

new gig pays approx 25% more
          Now that's one good reason to move on.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Why should you give a rat's arse about any of these? Seriously, what's it to you where they are in 5 years time? Were you still hoping to be working for them? Permie investment? WTF?!

Now that's one good reason to move on.

role is consultant for strategy, capability, vision, all of which is poorly understood due lack of investment in leadership and people, I write things down because I hold, observe and analyse workshops with senior members of the legal and police fraternity, no big techie stuff, but holds actions and direction together where previously there was none, you're of course absolutely correct, sod the lot of them, rate increase is what matters!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Surely a meeting should result in actions, and you need to note what actions have been assigned to you to ensure that they get done.

One stupid thing about stand-ups is that while standing up shortens the meeting it also means people don't record what is going on...
              Yeah good point on both accounts. TBF, I usually just plug any actions for me straight into my task list on my iPad. So yeah, I guess that does sort of count as taking notes.

Comment

Working...
              X