• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phone interviews during day while on client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone interviews during day while on client site

Now I dont mind 10-15 mins quick chat but please dont expect me to wander off and spend 30-40 mins on the phone.while you give intimate details on the project and then ask loads of stupid technical questions.

If its lunchtime then fair enough but it never seems to be -they always want to do at the time they say. Yet seem to think you've got all day.

And please take note that doing this sort of thing via a mobile can be problematic.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Now I dont mind 10-15 mins quick chat but please dont expect me to wander off and spend 30-40 mins on the phone.while you give intimate details on the project and then ask loads of stupid technical questions.

If its lunchtime then fair enough but it never seems to be -they always want to do at the time they say. Yet seem to think you've got all day.

And please take note that doing this sort of thing via a mobile can be problematic.

Never had a problem getting phone interviews slotted in between 12-1pm or 1pm - 2pm.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Never had a problem getting phone interviews slotted in between 12-1pm or 1pm - 2pm.
      Nice Violin.....

Yep normally I would insist so its done on my time not the clients. I just find it a bit rude that there is no flexibility and then they expect you to 'disappear' from what you;re supposed to be working on and then spend ages on the phone to them.

Despite claims to the otherwise, I am professional, and whereas 10-15 mins is neither here nor there I think its taking the piss a bit to disappear for half hour or more in the middle of the day.

Comment

So you arranged to have an interview during the day, and are now moaning because they wanted to interview you during the day?

Or did they just ring out of the blue and instead of saying "it's not convenient at the moment, how about ringing back at lunch time or after normal working hours" you said "yes, now is a good time for you to interview me about the project?"
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think its taking the piss a bit to disappear for half hour or more in the middle of the day.
          I agree. What kind of idiot disappears for half an hour at lunch time!
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I agree. What kind of idiot disappears for half an hour at lunch time!
            Didnt mean that obviously...

Comment

So you arranged to have an interview during the day, and are now moaning because they wanted to interview you during the day?

Or did they just ring out of the blue and instead of saying "it's not convenient at the moment, how about ringing back at lunch time or after normal working hours" you said "yes, now is a good time for you to interview me about the project?"
              No I'm moaning because they refused to do it any other time, I said it was awkward but agreed if it was 10 mins tops. 30 mins later it was still going strong...

I remember I had worse with a Bob agency and client once. Went and sat in my car, waited 15 mins for call. Gave up and went back into office. 90 mins later I had a few missed calls that I couldnt take but no message left (unknown number).

2 hours later agency phoned me to say client werent happy I wasnt available for phone interview! **** off nobheads.

Comment

No I'm moaning because they refused to do it any other time, I said it was awkward but agreed if it was 10 mins tops. 30 mins later it was still going strong...
                Are your interviews often over in less than ten minutes? Did you really expect the interview to only last that long?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Are your interviews often over in less than ten minutes? Did you really expect the interview to only last that long?
                  Yep had a few that last that long. Even got a few gigs on this basis.

Although, admitedly usually it seems they use this quick 10 mins to decide if they want a face-to-face later.

Ummm. If someone says we'd like to speak to you, I say I can give you longer at this time, but at the time you want Im limited, then they say no problem we understand, promise 10 mins only, why would I expect it to go on longer?

Comment

Ummm. If someone says we'd like to speak to you, I say I can give you longer at this time, but at the time you want Im limited, then they say no problem we understand, promise 10 mins only, why would I expect it to go on longer?
                    But evidently, you could give longer than ten minutes. If you have told them you have a time limit, and cannot enforce that, then I'd suggest looking in the mirror before you start blaming the interviewer for wanting to interview you and you not stopping it happening.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X