• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career at a crossroads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Originally posted by adam42 View Post
    Jobserve shows Edinburgh has a lot more ads than Leeds but thanks for the warning about the Edinburgh locations - I assume you mean it can be a big hike to get to the business from the railway station?
    Many ads on JS are fake. I've lived and worked in Scotland and the contracting market there is nothing compared to even Manchester, a black hole for contractors.
    Yes I am aware. I have used jobserve heavily. I have a good idea for London on the ratios of job ads -> jobs relevant -> calls from agents -> submission to clients -> interviews.

I assume the same ratios would apply in Edinburgh too - or are the recruitment consultants there a particularly untruthful lot?

Comment

[QUOTE=flipFlop;1942386]We all wish we are "always offered extensions", just like you you clever boy.[/QUOTEa]

No need for the sarcasm. Im in a different field to IT and just happen to be lucky that that my special area happens to be in demand. The point was, age need not be a bar to contracting. Sorry if I touched a nerve.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        +1. I'm over 50 and I'm managing to get gigs without any trouble. Don't write yourself off just because you think other people will - clients want somebody who can do the job, and don't really give a damn about age in my experience.

I reckon age prejudice is something shown in recruitment of permies; when it comes to contractors, age confers a certain gravitas. More to the point, your decrepitude won't affect their private health scheme premiums, so they really don't care how old you are if you can do the job at the right rate
        Blimey! I always had you down as a bloke in the twenties !
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Crossroads?

Seems to me you've already been at the crossroads and are now travelling off down another route; there maybe another crossroads coming up but that's life innit? As someone who has reached the dreaded age of which you speak, I've found several things:

I've now been self-employed contractor for much longer than anything I've ever done elsewhere. I'm a life contractor and will never get employed as a permie - I wouldn't take me on so why would anyone else? - so I've had to mix and match what I do. Last year for example, I was earning £300 per day working for a client across the other side of the M25 to where I live, life was sweet and holidays and treats were nice. Now I'm working locally and getting about a third of that (the lowest rate I've had in 25 years of contracting). the job is horrible and I hate it but it's relatively easy and no-one knows what the hell I'm doing. Essentially, I take the crunchie with the smooth and hope for more smooth in the sound knowledge I may not be able to get it. Next? Who knows? But isn't that why you're here and asking?

I've no pension and swapped what one(s) I had for a small annuity. But - and this is a big but - I've always contracted by picking up roles through advertising or agencies and never taken on a major project as you have done. Even if it didn't work out, it denotes that you have belief in what you do and you're confident and prepared to work to achieve what you want. With that attitude (and presumably skills) it sounds to me like you'll always be able to pick up the odd contract here and there and if the Mrs works then you will never be homeless or starve.

I'd live as close as I could to London (It's the greatest place in the world) and expect to get enough work to live on. Not sure you can ask for more really.
          Last edited by pjuk; 29 May 2014, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by pjuk View Post
            Last year for example, I was earning £300 per day working for a client across the other side of the M25 to where I live, life was sweet and holidays and treats were nice. Now I'm working locally and getting about a third of that
            How do you manage to make ends meet living that close to London on a day rate of £100?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

One HR manager described it quite well to me. Obviously paraphrased: "We look for younger permanent staff so we can develop them into our culture and then retain them based on internal experience and knowledge of our business, older permanent recruits tend to be far more resistant to cultural change. We look for older contractors and FTC employees because we don't really care if they fully adapt to our culture, we are bringing them in to either cover a gap or provide expert skills that we neither have in-house or would want to keep in-house beyond this narrow bit of work, age is irrelevant".

Comment

A friend of mine is well into his 60's not far of 70 and still contracting.
                I think you need to be known, i.e get some long term clients who know you then it ceases to be a problem as PM's always perfer people who know the system or business well and who are trusted.

In fact the PM keeps repeating he can't work without this guy, simply because of his experience.

So the trick I think is to get your foot behind the door with a couple of longterm clients by the time you're 60 and stick with them for your later years.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

After a lot of deliberation, I went for the finance contract. I'm currently working my way through all the red tape to get myself through security screening now.

The easiest part of the decision - which I'd put the most thought into - was whether to move up North and get that idyllic cottage near the beach, 15 mins from the train station to Newcastle or Edinburgh. In the end my partner got cold feet and didn't want to do it. A city girl born and bred, with no desire to live in the countryside. Guess I should have known despite the momentum I'd built up looking into the whole deal with her.

The permanent job as an option was scratched early on in the process.

The Swiss role still hasn't materialised and would have been a difficult one too, at least to begin with assuming that my partner would have followed which was also not guaranteed.

So the final choice was either the bog-standard non-finance role on the M25, or the low-paid finance role in the City. Although the money in finance is initially going to be worse, I see it as a foot in the door and I'm pretty sure over 2 years I can make massive improvements on the rate, particularly since I will then have a big investment bank name as my last role and the self-employed business will be just a historical anomaly to future employers - at least to the 50% or more who've been binning my CV on a regular basis recently.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                    Cant comment on the rest but as to the age thing, I went contracting for the first time at 57. Agents told me I had no chance, but when I went for it Ive never been out of work and am always offered extensions.
                    I'm coming up to 54 and have one of best contracts yet. Don't know where the OP gets the idea that 50 is old. I still play football
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                      I'm coming up to 54 and have one of best contracts yet. Don't know where the OP gets the idea that 50 is old. I still play football
                      Easy.

If you don't know any active, healthy and curious people 50+ who aren't your parents it's easy to assume all people that age are "old" as in inactive, sickly and set in their ways.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X