• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Away From Home, Hotels, B&B's or Renting better ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Away From Home, Hotels, B&B's or Renting better ?

Just wondering what are people's experiences/views with regards to contracts where the distance requires you to work from home.

Do people use Hotels, B&B's or find renting is better ? What are the adv's/disadvantages of one type over the other ?
    Which one do people find cheapest and what sites do people use to find rental properties (rightmove, primelocation) ?
    Do people use any other form of accommodation ?

Originally posted by AvsFan View Post
    Just wondering what are people's experiences/views with regards to contracts where the distance requires you to work from home.

Do people use Hotels, B&B's or find renting is better ? What are the adv's/disadvantages of one type over the other ?
    Which one do people find cheapest and what sites do people use to find rental properties (rightmove, primelocation) ?
    Do people use any other form of accommodation ?
    Finding some dirty old tart is the cheapest, but comes with it's own disadvantages.

There are advantages/disadvantages to any option.

Hotel - Living out of a suitcase, have to take everything home at weekends, otherwise convenient.

Flat etc - Leave your tulip there at weekends, no 'rules' to observe, need to employ a cleaner or DIY.

There are literally scores of advantages/disadvantages to either. Whatever tickles your pickle really. You need to decide for yourself.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by AvsFan View Post
      When i'm working from home, I tend not to use B&B's/hotels/renting somewhere else -- it just works out cheaper
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Hotels - always travelodge. Know what you're getting. Although can be a nightmare in the summer if its hot because theres no AC. If so, Ibis or something (costs more).

Try to avoid independent B&Bs etc. Too variable.

Holiday Lettings - Holiday Rentals, Apartment & Villa Holidays is good. Sometimes difficult to find short term stuff but I had a well nice studio flat once for same price as hotel.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I did Jan to April working away and I found Days Inn the best as the daily rate (avg 47 pn) none of the local B&Bs would get near it.

Also it had free wifi (unlike Travel Lodge which I found an awful place to stay) and the next door motorway services had an M&S so a chance of some decent food rather than BK every night.

The B&Bs were all right next door to client site however DI was only 7 miles away so YMMV, but do your homework and haggle, haggle, haggle.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I tend to use spareroom.co.uk or airbnb to keep costs down, but then again I don't mind sharing accommodation.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

I've done a few nights in Premier Inns.....not too bad, and I even have a business account setup
              But, for the most part, when away from home I have used Spareroom. First time I was away, I was in Brentford and found a great place via Spareroom, and when I came back up this way (Sunbury) I got in touch and went back to Brentford digs.

Personally, I think it is very much down to choice and then what you want. I like being able to leave stuff over the weekend, be able to cook (very basic!) and doss on the sofa with a glass of something, rather than having to be in a hotel room/bar, but then this can depend on who you share with too! Also, a lot cheaper - I pay £450 pcm for a mon-fri let, and food costs very little on top - put that against a hotel for 4 nights, 4x breakfast and evening meal and the costs will be quite different.
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I tend to use spareroom.co.uk or airbnb to keep costs down, but then again I don't mind sharing accommodation.
                Nah bugger that. It'd be just my luck to end up living with some big fella who fancies me.. :-)
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Nah bugger that. It'd be just my luck to end up living with some big fella who fancies me.. :-)
                  Errmm, you can choose where you go?

latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    My personal driver is that it needs to be within 10 minutes walking distance from the Gig. No point staying away from home and commuting as well. Other factors are value, I've stayed in Travelodges when cost of the local nice hotel is three times as much. Apart hotels can be surprisingly good value.

My other tip is to pay the extra for flexible booking with Premier Inn / Travelodge, you can change plans pretty much at will and not lose any money. Also you can book up months in advance and cancel if things change, so for instance if you client takes pity on you and lets you WFH on Fridays.

Also don't buy the Travelodge Breakfast, I wouldn't feed it to my dog. With the premier inn breakfast you can pay on the day, if you to skip Breakfast or have it somewhere else you aren't out of pocket. Also bugger all the insurances, not worth the paper they are written on.

The thing with renting a flat is the deposits, landlord hassle, usually no parking and general buggering about. When I'm away from home I want to work, not create a new social circle of friends. Other big issue is you can sign a 6 month lease and I guarantee within a month you will be moving on as the client may need to cut budgets or any number of things could happen that cut your contract short. Even a couple of days of WFH could completely change the financials and make a flat more expensive.
                    I agree with most of that as I fly when I can to gigs so don't have the car to go around in. I pick a hotel within walking distance and there is usually a good selection of pubs and restaurants around.

I normally try and get some storage at the office so I can leave stuff over the weekend. One place couldn't find me a spare locker so I asked the hotel to keep it in storage for me. No problem as I had booked for weeks in advance.

B&Bs are normally good at keeping a bag for you too.

I've used booking.com quite a lot and they're normally good prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X