• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Sorry to hear it BP. Wrongly ciicked like on your post, it seems to be a clicking wrong buttons morning.
    If you like it again, it unlikes the post.

But there's nothing wrong with showing your support with a like, like.

(I've come over all SallyAnne etc.)
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I've come over all SallyAnne
      Have you? You naughty boy

However this is a professional forum, please keep details of you love life to yourself

Comment

Interestingly, my wife spoke to her uncle the other day. He was told his pension was untouchable - but they got it anyway!

Apparently, you have to be legally seperated for 6 months before assets can be seperate. We have been about 6 months so far.

Comment

Sorry that you have reached this point BP . This is the background and legal cases for the changes to pensions and bankruptcy as announced in the 2014 Budget http://www.burges-salmon.com/practic..._bankrupts.pdf
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Are you sure BN66 will affect you? Why don't you just close your company and start a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              Are you sure BN66 will affect you? Why don't you just close your company and start a new one?
              [ducks]
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Sorry that you have reached this point BP . This is the background and legal cases for the changes to pensions and bankruptcy as announced in the 2014 Budget http://www.burges-salmon.com/practic..._bankrupts.pdf
                Very useful article - thanks. I am going to try to find out exactly when this guy went bankrupt. Not that it makes much difference - my pension could well be in the firing line.

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Was that a joke or serious?

Comment

To give an update as to the latest position with pensions and whether they can be included in a bankrupt's estate, the short(?) answer is 'Pending an appeal, HMRC approved schemes are not included at the moment provided you haven't been making excessive contributions'.

The long answer is:

A bankruptcy order given after 29/05/2000 cannot include any approved pension scheme (i.e. HMRC approved per WRPA 1999) as an asset of the bankruptcy estate.
                  However
                  • Unapproved pension schemes are included
                  • Excessive pension contributions can be clawed back for the bankruptcy estate.
                  • Pending an appeal, it may be that approved pension schemes that are available to be drawn down at the time of bankruptcy will be included in any income payments order/agreement made giving the bankrupt's disposable income to the bankruptcy estate for a maximum period of 3 years from the time that the order was made. It should be noted that currently, the decision in Horton v Henry (which is being appealed, hence the uncertainty) stands and therefore there is no current requirement for available draw downs to be included as part of the bankrupt's estate.

Some useful further reading here:
                  Family Law Week: Horton v Henry; pensions, bankruptcy and divorce
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...-debt-advisors

Every person's situation is different, so I would always recommend that you seek expert advice from an IP/debt advisor as to your circumstances before taking any action relating to the above.

Comment

It depends how much you are going to earn over the next few years. It's best to get discharged as soon as possible. When my brother went bankrupt he went to be a mature student for a few years until he was discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                      It depends how much you are going to earn over the next few years. It's best to get discharged as soon as possible. When my brother went bankrupt he went to be a mature student for a few years until he was discharged.
                      Latest is I have stopped talking to HMRC. And my shrink has written to HMRC asking them to put my case on hold for a year.

Comment

Working...
                      X