• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decision help alert - need different perspectives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it unbelievable people ask these type of questions on a forum. Should I, shouldnt I? Jesus, such indecision.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      Ha, just browsing through and realised I need to close this one off. I stayed contracting at that same company, where I still am now, but am about to leave.

Funny how it worked out.

Stayed contracting, they hired a person for that perm role they offered me. That person is now my manager, and is not nearly experienced enough for the position. She has 'managed' to piss lots of people off, and delegated absolutely everything that was given to her, out. It doesn't matter though because she is the perm hire and 'they' are standing by her.

But moreover...

The part of the clienco I am in, is about to completely change their business, and merge with another internal business. Already quite a few perms have been made redundant, with more to follow, and contractors will be next.

My contract is up end of December, and having had various discussions it isn't likely to be renewed this time, so I have started looking around.

I have had an offer with a smaller company, for 50 more per day and a more senior role, and I will probably accept. How things can change so quickly still leaves me astonished. If I did take that perm role, I am not so sure I would be entirely happy with the new direction or industry.

My conclusion: work is work no matter how you do it - contractor or perm. Things change, people move on, you get happy about stuff, you get angry about stuff, you get disappointed. It's all the same and it's all part of the job. Work will only make you truly happy if you find something you are deeply passionate about and love doing, something you live, think and breath. Otherwise, well.. it's work.
      Oh dear but that's life...... more fodder for the novel you should be writing rather than causing minor distractions here!

Comment

Take the money (i.e. the day rate) - big corps are bollocks unless you're running them, and even then it's not fun. They're great to have on your CV when recruiters/companies can't 'read between the lines', but big names are exactly (and only) that.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
        X