• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies and Jury service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella companies and Jury service

I have a quick question. I have been called for Jury duty at the end of the year which made me think, if for some reason I am on the bench at that time and looking for my next contract if I work through an Umbrella (so therefore they are my employer) can I claim for loss of earnings for each day from the courts even though I'm not in a contract?

Just wondering if anyone had had this situation?

What does your employer say about paying you during jury duty?

Seems very organised to be called for jury duty in 7 months time - when I did it, it was on a couple of months notice at the most.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      I have a quick question. I have been called for Jury duty at the end of the year which made me think, if for some reason I am on the bench at that time and looking for my next contract if I work through an Umbrella (so therefore they are my employer) can I claim for loss of earnings for each day from the courts even though I'm not in a contract?

Just wondering if anyone had had this situation?
      It appears to be down to individual policies of the umbrellas and seems you are an employee of theirs wouldn't a call to them about this really be the first step?

There is also an umbrella section of the forum to post umbrella related questions.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have it that far in advance as I deffered and this was the new date offered as it was during one of the times I said I was free.

I just put it as a general question as its not happening now and I may not be with the same umbrella at that point so am not going to ask them yet but obvioulsy will nearer the time if need be. Just wondering if anyone had gone through it being in that situation that was all to give their account of what happened?
        Last edited by curtis; 8 April 2014, 09:27.

Comment

Working...
        X