• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on an Agency, please...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on an Agency, please...

Has anyone used Tech Mahindra as an agency?

I've seen a gig advertised with them and wondered if anyone had any experiences with them (good or bad)?

Thanks
    Last edited by administrator; 8 April 2014, 08:53. Reason: Removed link.

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
    Has anyone used Tech Mahindra as an agency?
    I've seen a gig advertised with them and wondered if anyone had any experiences with them (good or bad)?
    TM are a bob shop. If you get accepted to work with them then it's because you have some skill that they can't import. Be aware that you will be seen as an expensive resource to them and will be pumped for information by the imports so that they can maximise the value they get out of you. Quite likely you will be dropped as soon as they have no further use for you.

Also understand that their work ethic is strong and their cultural values may be different to what you are used to. They tend to listen politely and then go and do exactly what they are told rather than use their initiative or engage in open debate with superiors as many of us are inclined to do.

All of that is quite a generalisation and TM is a huge company so I can't say it's all like this but this is the general feeling I got from them. I would work with them again given the chance, of all the things I did and saw while working with them none of it was personal, it was strictly business albeit a fairly hard nosed business.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      TM are a bob shop. If you get accepted to work with them then it's because you have some skill that they can't import. Be aware that you will be seen as an expensive resource to them and will be pumped for information by the imports so that they can maximise the value they get out of you. Quite likely you will be dropped as soon as they have no further use for you.

Also understand that their work ethic is strong and their cultural values may be different to what you are used to. They tend to listen politely and then go and do exactly what they are told rather than use their initiative or engage in open debate with superiors as many of us are inclined to do.

All of that is quite a generalisation and TM is a huge company so I can't say it's all like this but this is the general feeling I got from them. I would work with them again given the chance, of all the things I did and saw while working with them none of it was personal, it was strictly business albeit a fairly hard nosed business.
      Interesting, thanks.
      They are the point of contact for a DV cleared role that I'm looking at. The contact details say Milton Keynes but I've just had a phone call from a nice chap in India !
      He told me who the client is so I'll take it forward and see where it goes.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Comment

They are filed in my address book as "Crap Indian Agency" because the first few times they rang, they mumbled the name of the agency and then waffled about a role which sounded non-existent.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've got similar. Seen a gig working onsite at a household name but working for TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) which are a Bob shop also. (Agency is UK one).

Its an SC role which I guess is why they cant get someone from India in. The rate is very poor though. I guess BT outsource cheaply to TCS who then dont want to pay much for any contractors they take on board.

Must admit I am dubious about the way that these offshore consultancies do things and how things work.

IMHO, working on customer site via consultancy is often nightmare anyway. Consultancy pay (via agency) so they want you on site at their customer for as many hours per day they can get away with usually.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I've got similar. Seen a gig working onsite at a household name but working for TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) which are a Bob shop also. (Agency is UK one).

Its an SC role which I guess is why they cant get someone from India in. The rate is very poor though. I guess BT outsource cheaply to TCS who then dont want to pay much for any contractors they take on board.

Must admit I am dubious about the way that these offshore consultancies do things and how things work.

IMHO, working on customer site via consultancy is often nightmare anyway. Consultancy pay (via agency) so they want you on site at their customer for as many hours per day they can get away with usually.
            Thanks for that. As I said, it was the fact that they were asking for such a high clearance that raised my alarm bells, but it seems OK (in that I recognised who he was talking about). In this case, the money is better than I'm on now, the gig is commutable from home (vs 4-hours + digs) and if I land it then it could lead on to other roles.

It's all good.

Comment

Apply for the role before you start worrying about the agency... It's more than likely you haven't got a hope in hell unless you have been or are already cleared for roles like this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Apply for the role before you start worrying about the agency... It's more than likely you haven't got a hope in hell unless you have been or are already cleared for roles like this.
                I am cleared and have been in roles like this for 10 years. But thanks for your cheery response.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
                  if I land it then it could lead on to other roles.
                  Not with them you won't.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Not with them you won't.
                    Two questions:
                    1. How on earth can you possibly know that?
                    2. Did I mention other roles with "them"?

<Insert random grumpy / negative / unhelpful response here>

Comment

Working...
                    X