• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To hand over code or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To hand over code or not?

A client seemed happy about the demo - discussed next steps with me.
    We agreed several tasks for the current sprint, one that I only saw later was "handing over the code and documentation"
    Just to give some context:
    a) another sub-contractor, has not handed over the code and has been given the boot
    b) I think I may be given the boot soon regardless

In my contract it clearly states that all IP belongs to my Ltd, however I am not precious about the code - it is mostly extension, improvement and bug fixes to open source stuff so I was thinking of open sourcing most of it anyway.
    Do you think that by handing over the code I am in a better position to carry on with the client?
    How should I then politely indicate that it's not theirs to have - I have merely licensed it to them?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    We agreed several tasks for the current sprint, one that I only saw later was "handing over the code and documentation"
    a) another sub-contractor, has not handed over the code and has been given the boot

In my contract it clearly states that all IP belongs to my Ltd, however I am not precious about the code - it is mostly extension, improvement and bug fixes to open source stuff so I was thinking of open sourcing most of it anyway.
    Do you think that by handing over the code I am in a better position to carry on with the client?
    How should I then politely indicate that it's not theirs to have - I have merely licensed it to them?
    If you have separately agreed to "handing over the code and documentation" as a deliverable then that's what it is.

IP rights are a different matter in that what both you and the client can each subsequently do with it.

I'm guessing that you understand this but the concern is that the client does not?

What licence is the open source package originally distributed under? It may not permit the distribution of your "improvements" without source code anyway. You need to be very clear about 3rd party code. Include or reference the licence as part of the delivery and draw attention to the terms of re-distribution without drawing any specific conclusions.

Did the other contractor get paid after being given the boot?
    Last edited by Contreras; 26 March 2014, 07:35.

Comment

If you are paid in time and materials I would give him the code. Only on fixed price would I firm about the terms and conditions.

If you are not doing fixed price contracts, where you are licencing your product and competing in this way I see no advantage in not letting the customer have the code, other than to force the customer to keep coming back to you. I think if you refuse he'd throw you off the project and never employ you again.

It's actually quite unusual for the customer not to get the code for this kind of custom development.

If you're brave you might think about asking for some extra money.

If you want to develop and licence code you need to sort this out up front at the beginning of the project not make this decision at the handover.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 March 2014, 08:59.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post

There's not enough info for anyone to give a sensible reply to your question. You say that YourCo contractually owns the IP, but you don't say whether ClientCo is contractually entitled to a copy for their use ? If not then you are within your rights not to give it over, otherwise you need to do what the contract says. The stuff in "the current sprint" is most likely not a contractual term but it might be is the contract says that the work is to be performed as per ClientCos demands as input into their system.

You also say the code is a demo, if that is the contractual position and the code is identified as being a demo than I would suggest withholding it on the basis that it's unsuitable for release.

But I think we need to know more about the contract and the history to give a useful opinion.

Boo
        Last edited by Boo; 26 March 2014, 10:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
          There's not enough info for anyone to give a sensible reply to your question. You say that YourCo contractually owns the IP, but you don't say whether ClientCo is contractually entitled to a copy for their use ? If not then you are within your rights not to give it over, otherwise you need to do what the contract says. The stuff in "the current sprint" is most likely not a contractual term but it might be is the contract says that the work is to be performed as per ClientCos demands as input into their system.

You also say the code is a demo, if that is the contractual position and the code is identified as being a demo than I would suggest withholding it on the basis that it's unsuitable for release.

But I think we need to know more about the contract and the history to give a useful opinion.

Boo
          He said 'demo' but was talking about sprints - so I'd understand that to mean that he was demo'ing the product at a sprint review. In that context a 'demo' could be a throw-away prototype, but it's also very likely a demo of the actual production code sprint deliverable which should be production quality (even if incomplete).

Comment

Well, I've handed over the code not to antagonise things with a note that we'd need to have a separate agreement if they wanted to use or run the code in ways other than educational ones.

I'll let you know how it develops, but even though I would consider myself knowledgeable about IP law, know the difference between gpl 2 vs 3 vs MIT etc it's still a minefield to navigate.

I'll keep you posted how it develops.

Comment

Working...
            X