• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents must think we're stupid sometimes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents must think we're stupid sometimes

Don't answer that NLUK.

Saw local gig advertised the other day. Pretty crap rate but very close to home. Strangely it seemed to be advertised directly (with rate) on jobserve so I knew exactly who it was.

Didn't hear anything.

Today get call from agent and it sounds familiar. Looks like client has given up the direct idea and gone through agent. Rate quoted is 25% less than direct.

Told agent I knew how much they're budget was. He wanted to know how. Told him it was on jobserve last week! Silence. Not the hardest I've had to work to find out an agents cut I must admit.

9 month contract so 25% is a bit much even for a low rate IMHO. We'll see...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Well if they do at least they get it right at least once

Out of interest why do you think the agents think you are stupid in this case? He obviously didn't know about the other advert and where 25% is a tad excessive it isn't uncommon and it is up to the contractor to negotiate it up.

I can't see anything stupid here. A bit cheeky but that is the contractors job to make it right.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Well if they do at least they get it right at least once

Out of interest why do you think the agents think you are stupid in this case? He obviously didn't know about the other advert and where 25% is a tad excessive it isn't uncommon and it is up to the contractor to negotiate it up.

I can't see anything stupid here. A bit cheeky but that is the contractors job to make it right.
      He admitted that he was aware that they'd stuck it on jobserve previously as a direct gig.

Comment

Remember also he has to charge a larger percentage on a crap rate to make the same money. If his standard is 10% on a £400 gig then 10% on a £200 gig isn't going to be worth his while is it.

The situation you describe seems pretty normal to me. The only difference is you have a bit more knowledge on the situation than you generally do. Nothing to see here.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What makes me laugh is you think the agents rate is 25% based on the old direct advertised rate. What's to say the client decided that since nothing was happening direct that they'd go with an agent but in doing so they'd also have to commit to paying more.

i.e.
          Direct advertised rate of £200pd = cost to client of £200pd
          Agent advertised rate of £150pd = cost to client of £200pd and agent cut of £50 or 25%
          Reality is probably rate of £150pd = cost to client of £225pd and agent cut of £75 or 33.33%

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
            What makes me laugh is you think the agents rate is 25% based on the old direct advertised rate. What's to say the client decided that since nothing was happening direct that they'd go with an agent but in doing so they'd also have to commit to paying more.

i.e.
            Direct advertised rate of £200pd = cost to client of £200pd
            Agent advertised rate of £150pd = cost to client of £200pd and agent cut of £50 or 25%
            Reality is probably rate of £150pd = cost to client of £225pd and agent cut of £75 or 33.33%

of course.

Comment

Working...
            X