• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short decent contract or stick with poor long term contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am hardly Mr Popular on here
    WNLUKS

Comment

FFS

Take the new contract. Make yourself useful so they don't look for a permie. Alternatively, show them that you know your stuff, so they include you in recruiting a replacement - then make each one look bad so they have to keep you on.

Even if it only lasts 8 weeks, that gives you another 8 weeks of break-even time to find another scenario to regale us with.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        FFS

Take the new contract. Make yourself useful so they don't look for a permie. Alternatively, show them that you know your stuff, so they include you in recruiting a replacement - then make each one look bad so they have to keep you on.

Even if it only lasts 8 weeks, that gives you another 8 weeks of break-even time to find another scenario to regale us with.
        LOL. My thoughts exactly...
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          FFS

Is that level of badness even possible?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Maybe. But you've got to be fair there are lots of posts where you get in there first and its followed by your posse minutes later with either the exact same comment or
            "I agree with NLUK"

Not having a go at you - its not you but it is a bit weird sometimes....
            Yep, you nailed it there.

Comment

Well. Had interview. Asked outright. Got his calculator and said ok we can afford you for 10 weeks.

Sounds like very much thats it after that. Even said if they hadnt got permie by then they may be told to go one short till they get perm. Its educational institution btw so i guess budgets are always an issue.

10 wks = 20 at current so its 10 wks slack.

Seems decent gig tho. Nice people, decent work etc. Decision if offer comes in.

Comment

Saw agency rate too on paper on desk. Thibk client did this on purpose to let me see.

15% on top. Bit high. Perhaps some room to add a bit now i know this. Lol.

Comment

Saw agency rate too on paper on desk. Thibk client did this on purpose to let me see.

Oh yes, no chance of extension so get another 5% out of em!

Comment

15% is not high for a 10 week gig. We have had discussions where agents have told us 10-12% is about fair and that will before 3, 6 or more months. Give it a shot but you are going to be pressed to get a worthwhile cut out of that. It's all money in your pocket so try something but I wouldn't be rocking the boat at those numbers.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah for a 10 week gig the agency does the same up-front work as a 10 month one. If it's a decent rate than 15% is still a decent slice so push for 10%.

I say take it either way, that's 5 months at your current gig.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X