• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

opinion about the market and my skillset : what to target for a contract ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion about the market and my skillset : what to target for a contract ?

I would like to know your opinion about the market and my skillset

grossly I possess the following skills : C/C++ dev (5Y), oracle DBA (10y), finance/banking development and business analysis - risk, pricing (5Y)
    based in Benelux

my strongest skill is obviously oracle dba which I did as contractor mainly.
    finance was as perm or temp.

oracle dba seems quite finished as a contracting skill (offshore and concentration in datacenters), financial IT is very weak at the moment and C++ development is no more my cup of tea.

I am contacted on linkedin by some sap consultancies since i have some years of SAP (mainly BC) on my cv but this is my weakest skill. not sure this is good idea.

I would like to continue as BA in finance but the market in financial IT is very weak (especially benelux) as I could experience recently
    I dont want to move outside Benelux for a contract at the moment.

any idea what to target in priority for a contract ?

eats shoots and leaves

t s eliot

Mrs Malaprop
    Last edited by Scruff; 19 February 2014, 10:56.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by oraclebot View Post
      You are asking questions about the Benelux market on an UK forum? Good luck with that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oraclebot View Post
        I would like to continue as BA in finance but the market in financial IT is very weak (especially benelux) as I could experience recently

any idea what to target in priority for a contract ?
        So you want to be a BA in finance, but the market is weak in Benelux, but you won't leave Benelux?

To be honest, what do you expect us to do about that? Fix the Benelux finance contract market for you so you can find a gig? Or suggest you compromise on at least one of your criteria so you can find a contract that actually exists?

Comment

Benelux

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          So you want to be a BA in finance, but the market is weak in Benelux, but you won't leave Benelux?

To be honest, what do you expect us to do about that? Fix the Benelux finance contract market for you so you can find a gig? Or suggest you compromise on at least one of your criteria so you can find a contract that actually exists?
          no I wanted to know if I should have a try at of any my other skills . or maybe target another position than BA.
          I have not been in the contracting market for some time now. i did perm or temp positions.

I would like also to have an opinion about the Benelux contractor market at the moment as well (unfortunately I dont know any benelux contractor forum). apparently some guys are contracting in Benelux on this forum

Comment

Benelux

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You are asking questions about the Benelux market on an UK forum? Good luck with that.
            well , unfortuneately there is no benelux IT contractor forum that i know of.

However some guys here, just by looking at some of the posts, are contracting in Benelux. there are many Uk-based agencies active here as well

Comment

There's definitely some forum members in Netherlands, not sure about Belgium or Luxembourg. If you're already considering working in a 3 country region, why not look a little further and consider Germany?

Comment

well

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                There's definitely some forum members in Netherlands, not sure about Belgium or Luxembourg. If you're already considering working in a 3 country region, why not look a little further and consider Germany?
                well I speak fluent Dutch & French but my german is very weak , definitely not an asset in Germany but an asset in Benelux. Maybe I should target France(Paris) where I have been contracting in the past but not too keen.
                In finance, german companies ask in general a german language competency, even in Benelux.

concerning the Benelux, have seen some posts asking questions about the belgian system for contractors on this forum as well

Comment

Working...
                X