• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Withdrawing from a signed contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I had one like that
    Has anyone ever posted something on here that hasn't happened to you as well?
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by pmdude View Post
      Well I did the proper thing and told my current company that I am sorry but as I was informed that there would be no extension, I have accepted and signed a contract with another business.

Naturally they were disappointed but understood.

Spoke to my new agent to arrange time etc to be at the new contract. Told they would find out and let me know. 48 hours later informed that the start date is now for next Monday 24th. No problem as I get a nice week off. Today I am told the role has been withdrawn! Something about head count....

Spoke to my old company who I had a long standing relationship with but my old role is no longer available either so here I am now out of a job.

I've looked at the new contract and tbh it does say that they can terminate without notice.
      tough break dude, sorry to hear that.

Could be worse, you could live in Ukraine.

Get your positive hat on.

Spend a few days chilling out, get down the gym, ride your bike, play with your kids, take the missus away for the weekend, get the lads/girls together for a all day bender on Saturday, buy a new Playstation game, learn guitar.

By next week you'll have a lead on a new role closer to home, for a higher rate than either of these 2, with better people, a better atmosphere and without Suity or PyschoCandy involved.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        tough break dude, sorry to hear that.

Could be worse, you could live in Ukraine.

Get your positive hat on.

Spend a few days chilling out, get down the gym, ride your bike, play with your kids, take the missus away for the weekend, get the lads/girls together for a all day bender on Saturday, buy a new Playstation game, learn guitar.

By next week you'll have a lead on a new role closer to home, for a higher rate than either of these 2, with better people, a better atmosphere and without Suity or PyschoCandy involved.
        If your lucky, could end up working with me!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If your lucky, could end up working with me!
          did you miss the last line of my post?

Comment

1.) Get the role signed off before advertising. Don't advertise, get CVs in and then decide you've not got the budget.
            How do you know they didn't have the budget/requirement. When timescales are tight you you can't wait for all the ticks in boxes so have to do it in parallel. I really don't think a lot of clients waste time offering contractors roles when they are not ready to take them on. I would expect it is a budget challenges that cause the role to be pulled, not lack of sign off and even then I would like to think budget is one of the more uncommon reasons contractors are dropped.

2.) Be honest.
            Where in any of the clients moaning posts do they say the clients haven't been honest? Again I am sure clients do not lie to contractors but they don't have to be totally open about their internal situation to an external supplier. They are needed or they are not is more than enough information. It's honest but it's not airing their internal washing in public.
            3.) Treat people fairly and as you would like to be treated yourself.
            This is B2B. People come second. If there is a role you are in, if there isn't you are out. Can't see what isn't fair about that. They can't be giving roles to contractors just to keep them happy. You can still be professional without looking like a soft touch and covering everything in cotton wool.

Things happen of course but I feel it happens too often at the moment.
            Could be because people only want to talk about the problems and the smooth transactions are not commented on. From my experience being dicked about by agents and clients is a pretty uncommon situation compared to the number of successful transactions.

It's all about hard nosed business. If you can't understand that you are going to have a miserable time contracting. There are three elements in contracting, the client, the agent and the contractor. You complain the agents are unprofessional, the agents are unprofessional but you are not. Do you not think there is a quick fix here?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 20 February 2014, 16:02.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X